MOT: Vehicle test centre closes over fault in car lifts

RevT

RMS Regular
What did you email them saying? I emailed about a golf i have and they replied saying no as it was out too long

When did yours expire? Apparently they’re no longer giving you an extension if it’s expired more than a year. But if it’s May 2019 onwards expiry, just say you need a TEC added.

Alexmck

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
When did yours expire? Apparently they’re no longer giving you an extension if it’s expired more than a year. But if it’s May 2019 onwards expiry, just say you need a TEC added.
June 19, the cavalier was out august and got it but

RevT

RMS Regular
It’s maybe 12 months as of the date you request it so you’ve maybe just missed it?

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
Have one up on the 15th July so contacted them and they said due to demand expected a TEC will be applied as initially only priority vehicles will be tested.

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
M3 is showing as expiring in July on the online service, think it was initially due to expire in March. Wonder when it will update?

Mine has now updated to January. 7 days before the 1st TEC expired on 1st July.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
They never were giving a TEC for vehicles with an expired test of more than a year. The only exception to that rule was to vehicles brought in from England that had/have no MOT history on this side of the pond.

Which I find stupid because if we as ordinary civilians can see English MOT history online then why can they? Plus I also find it stupid that the NI DVA can’t access the mainland DVA database?

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
That wasn't strictly true about the English MOT thing- it just seems some cars slipped through the net or got someone that didn't give a feck when they were processing it. My car has only ever had an English MOT, I'm the first owner this side of the pond and it didn't get a TEC and when I enquired with them they said it didn't matter it had never been MOT'd here it's MOT was expired more than a year so wasn't eligible.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
That wasn't strictly true about the English MOT thing- it just seems some cars slipped through the net or got someone that didn't give a feck when they were processing it. My car has only ever had an English MOT, I'm the first owner this side of the pond and it didn't get a TEC and when I enquired with them they said it didn't matter it had never been MOT'd here it's MOT was expired more than a year so wasn't eligible.
To me it seemed like more than some! In fact yours is the first I’ve heard that didn’t!

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
To me it seemed like more than some! In fact yours is the first I’ve heard that didn’t!

Only a one person on here ive heard say they managed to get one a TEC when expired over 12 months...
Mine was an English car , never NI MOT, expired over 12 months and they replied to me making it clear it can’t get a TEC as MOT expired over 12 months ago

RevT

RMS Regular
They never were giving a TEC for vehicles with an expired test of more than a year. The only exception to that rule was to vehicles brought in from England that had/have no MOT history on this side of the pond.

Which I find stupid because if we as ordinary civilians can see English MOT history online then why can they? Plus I also find it stupid that the NI DVA can’t access the mainland DVA database?

I can only go off my own experience and they sorted two out for me no problem, both English cars as you say.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Dunno if this has been posted or mentioned or the source if it's true
FB_IMG_1592907457030.jpg

robert106

RMS Regular
Drives
172 clio
I've a car running out of mot 31 august, i wonder will they continue to give out exemptions for cars like that given that they have 8-9 months of back log to negotiate, if they don't its gonna be extremely difficult to get dates. . .

HairyPotter

RMS Regular
Drives
Exeo
mine was due to expire today,
done nothing, and i just checked its been TEC until 23 Dec.
other halfs car is due in 2 weeks, hopefully it get TEC as i dont fancy a scramble to get an appointment one things get going.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I've a car running out of mot 31 august, i wonder will they continue to give out exemptions for cars like that given that they have 8-9 months of back log to negotiate, if they don't its gonna be extremely difficult to get dates. . .
From what I’ve read vehicles with MOT’s expiring during the lockdown period at getting TEC’s issued until March.
The reason is as you say to try and avoid the back log.
So for now priority vehicles getting rear dates are vehicles that are unable to get TEC’s, buses and taxis which are due their first test and vehicles with tests that expired more than 12months ago.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Imagine it'll be a right while before we get normality back with backlog and presumably additional cleaning or sanitising of vehicles for the test, etc.

ECR

RMS Member
If it's not eligible for a TEC then yes.... apply via phone on 1st July
The phone line 0345 247 2471 is now open for those that are not eligible for a TEC and need to book a test. I managed to get through this morning and book for the first day back. I had to keep trying as the message said phone limes were busy try later and then cutting off. When I did get through it wasn't actually too long in the queue.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The XJ6 was extended 6 months to January. Was due next week. Think that's 10 months in total it has been extended.

Reactions: dub

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
M3 was due to expire on 20th July but has now been extended to Jan 21.

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
The phone line 0345 247 2471 is now open for those that are not eligible for a TEC and need to book a test. I managed to get through this morning and book for the first day back. I had to keep trying as the message said phone limes were busy try later and then cutting off. When I did get through it wasn't actually too long in the queue.

Cheers, I've tried 30 times since around 8.50am and just get the extremely busy message each time!

Edit: Just got through, also got a date for the 20th without any bother!

Last edited: