Mallon considers 2 yearly MOT's in NI

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I see nothing wrong with the current system and I like that it’s fully independent. It’s a bargain really, 33 quid or whatever it is for a independent inspection.

likely a cost cutting exercise or the lack of capacity to actually offer enough dates at times without overtime.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Statistics show that that is an extremely unlikely event to occur. Only 1% of car collisions in NI are due to vehicle defects. Almost all crashes are caused by driver error.

1% is still a lot, given the amount of cars on the road and accidents that happen.
Add in a multiple factor of human error alongside a vehicle defect and could be nasty

ShaunB

RMS Regular
To many crooks about here to offer it in local garages
Just the same as England then.
I know there are some cases of NI MOT inspector mates getting some cars through without a whole lot of testing, but you'd like to think its few and far between in the great scheme of things.

I'd rather we stick with the yearly inspection we currently have.

Would you trust an English MOT, from say Abdul's auto's in Birmingham.

111gsi

RMS Regular
We all moan about the NI system but at least it's reasonably objective, and cheap at £30.50. My experience of mainland MoTs is much more negative than positive.

I know not many accidents relatively speaking are caused by vehicle defects, but there will be plenty where the consequences are worse if the car isn't up to scratch. Bald tyres is the obvious highest risk, but I wouldn't want to be relying on the seatbelt mounts on a terminally rusty MX5 I saw on the Lodge Road roundabout in Coleraine a few weeks ago.

What about people ignoring the ABS light for another year, then running around with no traction control or ABS in the meantime?

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
IF it is about budget cuts (not sure about that?) i would be more than happy to pay 40 or 50 quid once a year to keep the system as is. No way should we be going private for reasons as already stated prior.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Some drivers should be tested every year never mind their cars.

It's not just about the small percentage of accidents due to unworthiness it's the cunit blinding you with a headlight pointing to the heavens and Mr Reek choking you to death (yes we really need the metered smoke test back for dervs).

The "I'll put it through and see what it needs" brigade only having to do it every two years. No thanks.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Never had an issue on mainland to be fair. Don’t need to sit refreshing a website to get one. Also if the garage says it’s failed mot you don’t have to have it fixed at that garage. £25 mots here as well.
Fair enough, everyone has different experiences and that becomes your benchmark. Let's say that in the Midlands and a bit farther north (Bradford etc), I wouldn't trust many mot's. I went to see an mx5 that had been mot'd that day and it had a 6" long rusty hole in the sill that the bloke said was an advisory lol..
It's so open to abuse and certain areas are wild for it.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Another Noddy Nichola idea, about as productive as 8million on street lights that last 25 years. Ffs out of date technology wise in 10

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I’m all for it. It’s a drain on public money.

Something like 98% of TRC’s are human error, 1% is vehicle failure and the other 1% is unknown.

Exactly, they need to focus on the causes of crashes, which they pretty much always ignore and blame everything else.

Of course vehicles do need maintained, and there should be spot checks here and there, especially at shopping centres and the school runs. Bot for bad driving and poorly maintained vehicles.
Another Noddy Nichola idea, about as productive as 8million on street lights that last 25 years. Ffs out of date technology wise in 10

There's as much chance of the street lights lasting 25 years as her vehicle lifts.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Why not let garages do it like mainland do?

I wouldn’t favour this as I think the scamming chances are high but it would save a ton of money.
Ten years I lived in rural North West England. One of my cars at the time never saw an MOT tester for 8 of those years yet had a valid test every year.

Not that it makes it any less right or wrong, my car was meticulously maintained and the dude writing the certs knew this.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Exactly, they need to focus on the causes of crashes, which they pretty much always ignore and blame everything else.

Of course vehicles do need maintained, and there should be spot checks here and there, especially at shopping centres and the school runs. Bot for bad driving and poorly maintained vehicles.

There's as much chance of the street lights lasting 25 years as her vehicle lifts.

Sure the cause of crashes is always speeding 🙄 absolutely sick to death of the cnuts all over the internet who cry about speed being dangerous or how the roads aren't fit for over 70 etc etc

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
1% is still a lot, given the amount of cars on the road and accidents that happen.
Add in a multiple factor of human error alongside a vehicle defect and could be nasty

But imagine how much safer they could make things if they honestly and genuinely tackled the 99% of causes....then go for that last 1%

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
But imagine how much safer they could make things if they honestly and genuinely tackled the 99% of causes....then go for that last 1%
But you can't unless you start doing driving tests every 5 or 10 years. There are so many people out there can't drive or won't wear their glasses or are hungover or just don't have a licence. take a walk round a tesco carpark and the amount of bald tyres is scary.

Gemma

RMS Regular
What annoys me is that if your car fails MOT on something stupid like headlight not aligned or something completely daft... You are not allowed to drive your car at all until it passes.
It should be, if your car failed on minor issues and you have a retest booked, fire on because you will have had them fixed hence the retest booked. Then make it that if you book a retest but cancel it, then you've to go through a full mot test again but not allowed to legally drive your car🤷‍♀️

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Unless it’s one of the major dangerous fails, you can still drive it? A fail doesn’t invalidate the remainder of the existing MOT. Plus a poorly aligned headlight could be blinding oncoming drivers so could be ropey enough.

RevT

RMS Regular
A fail doesn’t invalidate the remainder of the existing MOT.

Technically it does. If you’ve failed an MOT then it should only be used to get to the garage or drive to the MOT centre again for the retest basically.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Technically it does. If you’ve failed an MOT then it should only be used to get to the garage or drive to the MOT centre again for the retest basically.

If I’ve failed my MOT and there’s still a week left on the old one, it’s still MOTd. Unless it was something dangerous. But don’t take my word for it.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
Ten years I lived in rural North West England. One of my cars at the time never saw an MOT tester for 8 of those years yet had a valid test every year.

Not that it makes it any less right or wrong, my car was meticulously maintained and the dude writing the certs knew this.
What did you say his number was again? Have a few cars needing tested 😛
What annoys me is that if your car fails MOT on something stupid like headlight not aligned or something completely daft... You are not allowed to drive your car at all until it passes.
It should be, if your car failed on minor issues and you have a retest booked, fire on because you will have had them fixed hence the retest booked. Then make it that if you book a retest but cancel it, then you've to go through a full mot test again but not allowed to legally drive your car🤷‍♀️
I think we should bring in the advisory method also, say the likes of the handbrake not fully holding or at the correct percent, bulb out an something none major
Or give the person a chance to get it sorted and bring it back before the end of the day to get a certificate