F1 2021

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
What a day I picked to be there! Only just getting round to posting up now as was in bed all of yesterday recovering from a drunken night.

Atmosphere from the Dutch fans was the best I've ever experienced right from the beginning. Admittedly they were a bit quiet when Lewis was leading, but on the last lap it was just crazy! There was one Lewis fan sat next to me in the stand, the rest were Max fans. He actually left before Max crossed the line and said he couldn't bear to watch it ๐Ÿ˜‚

Plenty debates going on, Max got very lucky yes, but at the end of the day the best driver won ๐Ÿ˜œ

Trying to get up to watch some testing but not sure how close I'll be able to get.

Managed to take a total of 4 photos lol, was caught up taking Insta and WhatsApp videos for the ones back home ๐Ÿ˜‚

20211212_175930.jpg
20211212_183706.jpg
IMG-20211212-WA0046.jpeg
IMG-20211212-WA0066.jpeg

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
What a day I picked to be there! Only just getting round to posting up now as was in bed all of yesterday recovering from a drunken night.

Atmosphere from the Dutch fans was the best I've ever experienced right from the beginning. Admittedly they were a bit quiet when Lewis was leading, but on the last lap it was just crazy! There was one Lewis fan sat next to me in the stand, the rest were Max fans. He actually left before Max crossed the line and said he couldn't bear to watch it ๐Ÿ˜‚

Plenty debates going on, Max got very lucky yes, but at the end of the day the best driver won ๐Ÿ˜œ

Trying to get up to watch some testing but not sure how close I'll be able to get.

Managed to take a total of 4 photos lol, was caught up taking Insta and WhatsApp videos for the ones back home ๐Ÿ˜‚

View attachment 344004View attachment 344005View attachment 344007View attachment 344008

Not jealous at all. What corner were you at?

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Not jealous at all. What corner were you at?

Lol was just lucky that I was here for it, not often work ends up working out in my favour. On the flip side I'll be stuck on an island for Xmas and new year so not all good!

Was sat at the new T9 which is the banked hairpin. Had a great view of them coming down through the DRS zone, round T9 then on through the marina and hotel corners. Would definitely sit there again, having done Marina and West grandstands before that is definitely my new favourite!

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Lol was just lucky that I was here for it, not often work ends up working out in my favour. On the flip side I'll be stuck on an island for Xmas and new year so not all good!

Was sat at the new T9 which is the banked hairpin. Had a great view of them coming down through the DRS zone, round T9 then on through the marina and hotel corners. Would definitely sit there again, having done Marina and West grandstands before that is definitely my new favourite!
The Perez / Hamilton battle must have looked unreal in real life.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
The Perez / Hamilton battle must have looked unreal in real life.

That was definitely one of the highlights! Was sat in the perfect position as Hamilton passed him but then he edged back in front on the blue surface on the run up to T9 there. Sparks flying and the noise and then the smell of the hot brakes was just unreal.

Was out of my seat for that, much to the Lewis fan next to me disgust ๐Ÿ˜‚

Another was the Latifi/Mick battle as they were side by side going by and round the corner, i even said to the guy next to me that's not going to end well through the hotel complex ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

stevyg

RMS Regular
If they really wanted a thriller then red flagging the race when Latifi crashed at least would have given us a fair fight. Lewis and max on softs for a couple of laps would have been mint.
That's what should've happened. Or if they kept the lapped cars in-between at the rolling restart, they would have gotten out of the way on the first straight and Verstappen would have caught Hamilton towards the end of the lap, last few corners would have been wheel to wheel I think with a photo finish.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Should he resign? Absolutely. Only the weathermen can get it wrong so many times and keep their jobs. Will he resign? I don't think the FIA would let him even if he wanted to. Getting rid of Masi will cement the fact that he made the wrong decision and damage the sport even more than it already is. He needs to go but I just don't think they will let him to try and save some face.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's what should've happened. Or if they kept the lapped cars in-between at the rolling restart, they would have gotten out of the way on the first straight and Verstappen would have caught Hamilton towards the end of the lap, last few corners would have been wheel to wheel I think with a photo finish.
See I don't understand that argument at all. Nor the whole "red flag and restart" business.

RB was never in contention for the entre race. Well, apart perhaps from the first corner immediately after the start :innocent:

Why should all the preceding 57 laps just be thrown out the window and completely ignored just to manufacture a last lap "showdown"? That makes no sense at all. Might as well not bother with any of it then and just call it a day after the qualifying shoot-out.

What should have happened was the rules should have been applied. Which in this particular case would have meant finishing behind the safety car.

Safety cars can make for random results, for sure. But in this particular case it wouldn't. And shouldn't.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Why should all the preceding 57 laps just be thrown out the window and completely ignored just to manufacture a last lap "showdown"? That makes no sense at all. Might as well not bother with any of it then and just call it a day after the qualifying shoot-out.

That's what will happen at any time with any full SC or red flag though. It's unlucky for who ever is in front that a full reset happens but that's racing.

Whats not normal is to ignore the rules and do a half assed reset where only the 2nd position car gets to fall behind 1st but 3rd place guy has to have back markers between him and 2nd. How's any team meant to strategize what they are going to do in an event if rules are changeable on the spot. The commentators all thought it would be a SC if back markers reset, I'd imagine MB thought the same and played a role in their decision making. Would it have made a difference who knows now.

stevyg

RMS Regular
See I don't understand that argument at all. Nor the whole "red flag and restart" business.

RB was never in contention for the entre race. Well, apart perhaps from the first corner immediately after the start :innocent:

What should have happened was the rules should have been applied. Which in this particular case would have meant finishing behind the safety car.

Safety cars can make for random results, for sure. But in this particular case it wouldn't. And shouldn't.
Rules should have been and should always be applied yes, if the rules don't make sense then they need changed. If the rules were followed a red flag would have been a good option, not the best but better than a manufactured result. It was only going to end one way on the last lap. The best option would have been to keep the cars in-between and let him try to catch Lewis. Max didn't deserve to win that race so finishing under a SC would have been fine too, everyone gets what they deserved, there would be no finger pointing. Forget the leaders for a second, it wasn't fair on the other 3 cars either. You are racing trying to catch someone in the closing stages of a race then the race director says you stay behind the SC but the guys you are chasing get to uplap do a free lap and come back up behind you....with 1 lap left! Like WTF? The race should be reinstated to the previous laps result like it would if they finished under a SC. If there's someone in power who can read the rules with honesty, decency, integrity and a backbone but to save themselves the shame we all know that will never happen.

RB weren't even close, Verstappen's car was 0.3s per lap quicker in Quali but couldn't hang on to Hamilton during the race. I always thought if you won because of SC luck it was a bit hollow. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't, just luck. But I do love the VSC, makes me think why they need a SC at all now. Either keep them running under a VSC if the track can be cleaned up, if not then red flag it and resume under a rolling restart using P1 as the safety car. I get that a red flag, standing restarts & bunching everyone up under the SC creates entertainment but it's not the job of F1 to create entertainment. They are to provide a safe & fair sporting competition, that's it. Just like the 'fan boost' on Formula E, such a comical idea for entertainment purposes it's actually embarrassing.

pablo

RMS Moderator
SC bunches up the pack so gives the Marshalls a chunk of clear track on each lap. VSC where possible though for sure.

SC lottery is fine but was abused in this instance to manufacture the desired result. It was only going to end one way. Well maybe 2 where max took them both out but same result.

stevyg

RMS Regular
โ€œThereโ€™s a requirement in the sporting regulations to wave all the lapped cars pastโ€

-Michael Masi after the SC period at the Eifel GP 2020

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Taking number one cause he feckin earned it ๐Ÿ˜

Build him up and let him hold it for a year before Lewis retires it again next year ๐Ÿ˜œ.
Savvy move, can get more merch sold too! Before anyone starts, I don't for a minute think that's why he is taking No 1 next year, I'd do the same!

Silver lining being the fans have to buy a new uniform for next year.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I'm not surprised, lol, perfectly in character ๐Ÿ˜…

Fair play, he won and earned it, and has every right to use it.

Lewis always says he always runs as #44 because it has to be earned every year and every season everyone starts from zero :innocent:

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
f1 testing on 18โ€ wheels

why have they all covers / and what looks like brawn wheel covers for ers??

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.