£40 winter restoration project

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

richystran

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 avant 3.0 tdi
Nice one mark, cannot recall ever seeing one of these on the road. And its nice to see the engine in its original setting. When do you plan on getting it on the road?

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Hopefully be driving it when we get back from holiday in the states in the middle of August - will be driving it daily right up to the first salting of the roads then it's back to the volvo!

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Fantastic work - you're a skilled man Mark, great to see a car like that brought back to life and I'm sure it will go like the hammers too. Modern cars just lack so much compared to stuff like this for me. If you're ever selling give me a shout always wanted a BX Gti.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Couple of wee niggles sorted out.

Needed a plate to hold the radiator in right, and parts for these cars are more or less impossible to get now, so made my own by folding aluminium and drilling it for the rubber grommets.

bracket.jpg

bracket2.jpg

Additionally, got a pair of brand new headlights for literally sweet FA. Paintwork is coming up awesome - need the bumper sprayed obviously (It's also filthy here)

bx.jpg

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
Love this, these are probably one of the comfiest cars I've travelled in, just sitting in a sofa.

Looking forward to the progress.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Fantastic project, great work (y).

Whats the wee breather and pipe for?

Thats replacing the breathers that used to go back into the inlet manifold, as there's nowhere handy for them to go now - they now go to the catch can just out of view. Pipes are temporary as waiting on a crimper to press ends on to hose for permanent install.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What does it do though? Excuse my ignorance, I know nothing abut engines.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
The crankcase gasses and the valve cover gasses are normally vented back in to the inlet manifold. In this case I have them routed off to a catch can with a breather for two reasons - (i) I have no means of sending them back through the inlet manifold (As I dont have an inlet manifold) and (ii) I dont really want the oily vapours being drawn back in to the inlet

I got a cheap ebay catch can, cut the top off it and welded in something similar to what toyota use in their catch cans that gets a good oil/vapour separation.

NiallDuffs

RMS Member
Awesome work man! My grandas has had 3 of these are they have to be the comfiest car ive even sat it.. He had to get rid of his last one though cause it was starting to fall apart.. keep up the good work!

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Got all the spraying done at home, used cellulose paint got a real good match. Still need to wait for it to fully harden to polish it up right, and still need to spray the matte black bits round the doors and windows, but I'll aerosol those.

Got the MOT passed there and taxed it. Been running it in and the looks on people faces in the city centre with the throttle body rort is comical.

Quick one from today when I was down at BT doing a couple of exams

2013-10-07%2010.37.55.jpg

Charlieboyoo

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3 bmw M240i
Got all the spraying done at home, used cellulose paint got a real good match. Still need to wait for it to fully harden to polish it up right, and still need to spray the matte black bits round the doors and windows, but I'll aerosol those.

Got the MOT passed there and taxed it. Been running it in and the looks on people faces in the city centre with the throttle body rort is comical.

Quick one from today when I was down at BT doing a couple of exams

2013-10-07%2010.37.55.jpg
Post a few more pics,love the car it's the dogs balls.very rare,love seeing them on the road.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
That pic reminds me I've forgotten to put the citroen badge back on the front!

On the suspension, I've BX16V rear spheres in the front and regassed ones in the rear. Lower pressure spheres and variation in opening nozzle = stiffer suspension so it still rolls quite a bit, but much better than a normal one. ARB s about 1/2 as thick as a standard car again.

johnm

RMS Regular
Honestly disappointed I didnt see/hear it going through the town.
One of thee coolest cars on here!

Get a vid up :laughing:

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Love it Mark, we used to have a bottle green one of these back in the day. Lovely big thing!

Tylor

RMS Regular
Drives
vectra sri
very interesting project and writeup. keep up the great work. what way is this wagon sitting now?

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
That's fantastic. They are an amazing car, and soo underrated. I'm liking the sound of throttle bodies (pardon the pun) and the fact you spent so much time, effort and money on a car that originally stood you o little. Well done.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Seen this on M1 then again at the petrol station. Pretty cool wee motor

Was that at the one off the Moira roundabout? Hope it wasn't reeking too bad lol, she was smoking a bit while running it in but that's largely gone now

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Seen this going city bound on the m1 earlier, it was great seeing one of these on the roads again.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
OP
Mark_C
Wee video while setting up the ECU - is a good bit nippier now I've about 4 degrees more of timing added. Plus not even revving it out here as I thought I heard knock, but it was just over sensitive detector.

The private road this was taken on was 'almost identical' from under the bridge at sandyknowes then up the hill towards larne. (Yes, dash gauges need fixing)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.