Audi S3 8V

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Not to insult any of the straightliners, but I think you’ll enjoy a track day more, especially when you mix in some faster/slower cars and a few corners and working out how to carry as much speed through as possible. I havent done one in years, but am very keen to get back to it, hopefully next year.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
A bit OT, but I see the tuners are getting some great results with the new MK8 R / S3 engine - seems 420 (bhp/hp/ps ?) with a stage 1 remap.

Yeah some impressive results for sure - just saw that Revo are providing a map for the 217bhp GTI that can see up to 328bhp after Stage 1!
Not to insult any of the straightliners, but I think you’ll enjoy a track day more, especially when you mix in some faster/slower cars and a few corners and working out how to carry as much speed through as possible. I havent done one in years, but am very keen to get back to it, hopefully next year.

Oh I agree, I love B Road blasting in it and have a great commute to and from work every day. I have done a few experience track days and plenty of karting so I know I'd love it

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Rebuilding the transfer box now isn’t a problem .Mine was rebuilt at 35k and was one of the first to be rebuilt online it seems .all the top tuning companies said it was a replace job .The issue was getting the bearings as they were not available .I got mine from Poland but they then started to become available in the uk about a year later .Another lad on here had his done low 30k miles also I believe .It’s not a big deal now if and when it does go pop .
Audi was £2800 to supply only a new one lol ,no thanks .

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
6 years owned today 😵

Longest I’ve had a car and no sign of selling up or changing.

Recent full service including engine, DSG, haldex and diff oils, 4 new tyres to be fitted in the next week or so, contemplating wheel refurb at the same time as there are some chips on the wheels and evidence of white worm. Can put my track wheels on in the mean time.

Cam shaft magnets to fit once I pick them up as well as fit two new rear drop links when they arrive.

Other than that, keep it clean, keep it fuelled and keep smiling!

D20344C8-7480-41B0-BBE1-99FD2D44C1AC.jpeg

First drag race of the year in a few weeks so looking forward to that. Considering a back box delete from the centre box as it weighs around 30kg 😂 will see.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
This is beautiful and sits perfect, as we chatted about on Friday I don’t know what you would replace it with. The back box delete would be interesting to hear once it’s done.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
This is beautiful and sits perfect, as we chatted about on Friday I don’t know what you would replace it with. The back box delete would be interesting to hear once it’s done.
Have to be a turbo swopped daza engined rs3 to be any quicker for him .Big money though is only problem ,£45 k to be 1/2 to a second quicker 1/4 mile .crazy .

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Have to be a turbo swopped daza engined rs3 to be any quicker for him .Big money though is only problem ,£45 k to be 1/2 to a second quicker 1/4 mile .crazy .

Yeah or a bigger turbo on the car but then you are into reliability issues however, Revo do a V2 version of my turbo which would bring me over 500bhp so you never know but then again, I don't need/want to spend another £3k on the car when it is already quick AF

Took it a blast up to Coleraine yesterday with the family, not the most ideal family waggon and always too tempting to floor it however have to behave :joy:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's a very slippery slope. Once you get to a certain point the gains in terms of 1/4 mile will always be marginal without a big effort. Seems you are at that point.

There will always be faster cars. So just do what makes you happy. If that's spending the time and money on driving and enjoying the car rather than more time in the garage to find another tenth of a second or whatever - that's probably a good thing 😎

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Are you thinking of a basic backbox delete pipe just for the drag days? I'm sure there's a few grams in the headlight bulbs at this stage :joy:

Thinking about it but realistically probably won't - wife made comment about what gear I was in (even though its automatic) at 70mph as she said it was too loud :joy:

Sure take the lights out, don't need them for the race :p

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
Thinking about it but realistically probably won't - wife made comment about what gear I was in (even though its automatic) at 70mph as she said it was too loud :joy:

Sure take the lights out, don't need them for the race :p
Big screamer straight through the bonnet would be even lighter ;)

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Just keeping this thread updated with the latest, nothing exciting, just some maintenance, wheel refurb and new tyres...

There are two camshaft magnets in these cars and over time, they start to fail. Common signs are lumpy idle, limp mode, poor mpg, engine light, etc... Mine went into limp mode during some spirited driving and after diagnostics, changing them was the next step.

Thanks to @Tufty for sourcing the parts saving me a bit of money compared to Audi which were twice the price

Located on the left side of the engine - had to disconnect a coolant pipe and move the coolant tank for better access

894423e5-1214-47a9-ac9f-7e03c359af90-jpeg.391760

Not a hard job at all, wee bit of oil spillage but nothing major

19759885-41d8-41d3-855b-5c2024e03112-jpeg.391761

Two new ones in, car running perfectly fine (did anyway once faults were cleared)

1968d4e8-f1c7-48de-a993-4f4d6c8b9826-jpeg.391763

Next job on the list to prepare for the drag racing was to replace the rear drop links - it was noted during my service that one was on its way out so took advantage of an Autodoc sale and got 2 new ones. First one was a pain in the hoop as the inside spline was rounded, ended up having to cut it off, second one was a breeze

6e0d2c0b-404d-4f7b-88ad-5e0b45507cbc-jpeg.391965

Arch clean followed there after - all those grimy winter months gathering up behind the wheels!!

227c86d9-4c7b-435e-979c-7dc04bedae8b-jpeg.391966

e042c039-ef70-4f05-8a34-4d63a49537a5-jpeg.391967

So that takes us up to last week when prep started for the drag racing - plans were to remove my wheels, get them refurbed while I had the chance (tbh they were in decent shape, no kerbing, just some tarnishing and white worm of the polished face and a couple chips) and fit my new Michelin PS4S tyres

Off they go....

b6004418-92dc-4fa9-9598-70f6bac3a375-jpeg.391907

Got them back this morning and quick inspection at 0530am they look great. Will keep them off the car until the weekend and hope to put some sealant on them before going back on the car!

So that brings us up to last weekend, race prep underway with the track wheels on, car serviced and new parts installed. Long story short, had another fault on the car related to boost control module A circuit/open on Saturday which is pointing at the waste gate actuator on the turbo:

1680083070533.png

Part needs ordered up and replaced before committing to the next race at Kirkistown so that's the priority now

If you haven't been following the thread, I decided not to take my car to the drag racing due to the above and fortunately a friend who could not attend, leant me their 991 911 Turbo S which was an unforgettable experience

1679906341692-png.392217

338018773_186397107485549_1149342817963964260_n.jpg

So that brings you up to date with my S3, just need to get it fit and healthy so I can keep dailying with confidence :grinning:

Last edited:

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Got some time over the weekend to put the wheels back on - look so much more fresh compared to my other set

New tyres on too which feel weird but glad to have them changed!

1680510185109.png

1680510202895.png

1680510220588.png

Next is to get on top of these fault codes before the end of the month.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Thanks to @Sonny for the pic at the weekend from C&C

Still waiting on the turbo actuator for the car which will hopefully be going in on the 27th this month - few other maintenance parts to come up as well as brake fluid change needed - other than that, same old same, just drive it, clean it and enjoy it! :grinning:

S3.jpg

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Flip, April since an update and nothing major done with the car until now.

Since then, in May, I had another bad experience with dirty fuel, this time from Comber Solo which is documented elsewhere on here. Been pretty good since I had the fuel filter replaced but hasn't been running 100% really. Its due an oil service later this month which will include another fuel filter change so fingers crossed that's all the hiccups gone.

Drag racing was my main event for this car but its no longer happening and always wanted to try tracking my car - always on my mind about wrecking the car on track but tbh, I drive it pretty hard every day home on the B roads so what difference would it be :joy: that was my logic and justification! :joy:

Anyway, before track, I needed to change my spark plugs - never in my 21 years of driving have I ever done this so this was a first which thankfully went well, thanks to @azzamut for lending me a longer extension bar.

1699266263710.png

Little bit of oil on cylinder 1 plug (furthest left) - should this be concerning?

1699266241612.png

Cleaned the intake filter as well and fitted a new Forge Motorsport catch can (for track day) - didn't realise upon purchase that they use the OEM engine mounts to attach too and I have uprated Revo Mounts so its bodge fitted for now. Have and idea on how to fix permanently with a 3D printed bracket maybe so might need some RMS assistance if possible please.

1699265739413.png

Onto the track day which was on Sunday 5th Nov - initially worried about the flooded track but couldn't have asked for a better day, weather was perfect and track was dry as a bone!

This was it late last week :eek:

1699266503919.png

Great day have to say, no ragrets except my bank balance later this month when it needs serviced, brake fluid now and pads :joy: Underestimated how much fuel I would go through but was near the end of session 3 and petrol light came on 🙈🙈 turned out I did 151 miles to that tank so roughly 12mpg :joy:

Roll on Feb!

1699266582131.png

1699266592837.png

1699266606571.png

Love this car, it gets hammered on B roads every day, been to 10+ drag days, been launched 100+ times, toured round the UK and gets me to work every day with no major fuss. Just turned 89k too there at the weekend :eek:

Now looking at upgrading brakes ffs :joy:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
AP brakes in this if you are doing more circuit days. Will be a big improvement on the road too. Fronts will be enough for what you do, leave the rear oem.

Just keep having fun and enjoy the car 😎