Audi S6 Avant 4.2 V8

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Skip
If I could afford to own a v8 as a second car and didn't desperately need the money I don't know why I would even advertise it lol. Unless its to fund another v8...
Sod it, took it to work yesterday and the roads were quiet....... So I'm keeping it, can't think of anything that ticks all the boxes for the money. Dubshed winner 2016......

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Skip
Just a wee update, took a mad notion to sell the S6, did an Ad on car and classic, as I had sort of lost Interest in the car due to lack of time with work and baby. The wife told me to wise up and so did a few other people so keeping it, especially after the bond I have now after our 7 hours in the drive together changing the thermostat.

Well, the car was running a wee bit hot according to the temp gauge, did a bit of research and it was either the temp sensor or thermostat. So after reading the temp sensor was a 10 minute job, I thought I'd change that. So got new one in and fault was still present, balls.

So, it had to be the thermostat. So headed off to TPS to get a thermostat and copious amounts of coolant. It's never a good sign in the Bentley service manual when you head to the bit where it says how to remove thermostat it says: 1. Follow procedures to remove cambelt. :worried:

So after speaking to a few folk in the states who'd done the job, it turned out the cambelt didn't have to come off but just slid slightly off the cogs.... This had me worried as I didn't have the locking kit, so if the belt had come off I'd have been fooked.

So set to it with a friend who'd helped me before to get the car into the service position( when the front slides forward a bit for access to front of engine). Got to this point then realised there still wasn't enough access to get into the thermostat housing. So the whole front had to come off, trying to take off 15 year old coolant pipes is always a nervous affair! We then got to the point of slacking off the cambelt tensioner and sliding the belt carefully to the edge of the cogs. Used a tie wrap round the belt and cogs to stop it coming off. Eventually got old thermostat out and tested and it was fooked so got new one back in and car reassembled. Hateful job and can see why a garage would charge So much labour! Start to finish including tea breaks and copious amounts of swearing it took about 7 hours. Never again is all I can say. Been running it for the last couple of days and it's all sorted thank fook. So after all that effort I'll be keeping the car long term, and if it breaks again it'll be getting torched. Bloody Germans!

Red dot,Location of thermostat, behind fan, aux belt, cam covers and cam belt.

image.jpg

Went on a bit there, but actually quite proud of myself for doing the job, when so many on the Audi forums bottled it.

Got new matts and sidelight bulbs to go in as the ****ty led sidelights failed after 3 months. Also put my Vorsprung Dyk Tecnik album in the changer and pretending it's 1998 again!

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Good job man, I probably wouldn't have had the patience or balls to do that myself! Still have to give me a shout some weekend before this hides away for the winter if you are into that sort of thing? lol

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Skip
Good job man, I probably wouldn't have had the patience or balls to do that myself! Still have to give me a shout some weekend before this hides away for the winter if you are into that sort of thing? lol
Pfft it was sorned for a day lol, taxed again now. Put it this way, it got to the point of no return when we slid the cambelt off, started to sweat then! Haha patience, I have little as my knuckles show after i punched the garage door after I hit my head on it.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Ive done timing and stuff in the past but when it came to the golf I handed it over to Jonny at AI auto. Just not worth my time and nerves to screw it up and end up £2k down for an engine as well! Yes i have a habit of taking my rage out on inanimate objects too

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
You're a brave man! I'd have got someone else to do that one.

If you're keeping it get an S/RS meet organised :p

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Skip
You're a brave man! I'd have got someone else to do that one.

If you're keeping it get an S/RS meet organised :p
Haha I would, but I bet organising a meet would be like trying to herd cats!

I got to the point where I was checking my breakdown cover to see if I could
Get it towed to a garage. I'm going to attempt a gearbox service next but need ramps, so @gav525 get that garage finished!!

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
I'd love one of these on paper... But the reality is potentially terrifying, S6/RS6 are a sure fire way to dispose of all disposable income at all times!

Doubt there's anything else like it tho lol! Labour of love?

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Skip
A
Why is it in bits again this time?
a minor error on my part! ****ed the viscous fan coupler putting it back together for the thermostat. To be fair I've had front off and changed fan and back on in 2 hours myself. Just about to take it for a test run!

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Skip
I'd love one of these on paper... But the reality is potentially terrifying, S6/RS6 are a sure fire way to dispose of all disposable income at all times!

Doubt there's anything else like it tho lol! Labour of love?
It's awesome fairly easy to work on, as for running it, tax is cheaper than my saab, insurance is classic. Fuel that's another matter but a 340bhp is never going to be frugal.

Scuba Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
S3/V4S/X5/R
@Boabybooster think i seen you sitting at the traffic lights outside my house day last week (dont remember what day was kinda screwed with day/night last week) if it was you looked reasonable well

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
This thread makes me happy and sad all at the same time. Happy that I no longer have the worries and woes of the RS6 but sad because i miss the big V8!

After I sold it i said never again, but now im rethinking...

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Skip
This thread makes me happy and sad all at the same time. Happy that I no longer have the worries and woes of the RS6 but sad because i miss the big V8!

After I sold it i said never again, but now im rethinking...
Do it. I keep looking at the rs6s, I just think you were unlucky, as some have done huge miles with no problems.

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Do it. I keep looking at the rs6s, I just think you were unlucky, as some have done huge miles with no problems.
I'd give my arm for an s6/rs6 avant if I thought it wouldnt write itself off with a horrendous mechanical issues within the first year of ownership lol... My problem is if I bought one it would be my daily so I wouldn't want something I would be scared to start every morning lol...

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
OP
B
Drives
Skip
I'd give my arm for an s6/rs6 avant if I thought it wouldnt write itself off with a horrendous mechanical issues within the first year of ownership lol... My problem is if I bought one it would be my daily so I wouldn't want something I would be scared to start every morning lol...
The s6s seem to go for good amount of miles seen them with 200k miles, so mines only just run in. Sure you can have a spin in mine if they don't remove my leg next week.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.