Car Insurance increases

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
Did you read the reviews on 1st Central insurance? All I can say is hope you never need to use it.
I did.... 4.4 on Trustpilot. The car only does 3k miles a year local runs and isn't worth much... I'll take my chances.

Capture.PNG

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
TrustPilot is itself a bit of a paradox.

I wouldn't insure anything with FC. Absolute gangsters.
Crazy how 75k+ 5* reviews dominate one review site yet another is polar opposite. Makes you wonder what's really going on with these sites.

The cars barely driven, so I'll let it slide this time.

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I did.... 4.4 on Trustpilot. The car only does 3k miles a year local runs and isn't worth much... I'll take my chances.

View attachment 425308
Trust pilot can have a bunch of fake reviews. I ordered a stocking filler for the missus for Christmas only for it not to arrive. Looked on trust pilot, 3.9. Ok except most of the 5 stars were older than 6 months or very similarly worded reviews from 1 review customers.

I would wager for 1st central most of the reviews will be from the likes of 59 year old Denise in Runcorn who got a good price on her 1.25 fiesta to see the grandkids or other fake reviews. I would say if you look at the 1 or 2 star reviews, you probably will see what they are like for claims.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Crazy how 75k+ 5* reviews dominate one review site yet another is polar opposite. Makes you wonder what's really going on with these sites.

The cars barely driven, so I'll let it slide this time.

In my experience the review companies are conflicted. They pander to their customers, which happen to be the reviewees. They add a protracted process of uploading receipts and evidence to support a negative review but nothing at all for a positive. Unless you're on a mission I'd imagine most folk give up at that stage because they can't be bothered.

Out of 100 reviews with say 50 positive & 50 negative only 10 of the negatives might make it through. Next stage is if the reviewee isn't happy they go down the slander route. Even with all the supporting evidence TP will pull the review for fear of getting caught up in a legal battle. I've found forums to be a better gauge generally though some of the recommendations I've had on here have been terrible too :joy:

FC have been going for a while now, so in fairness they must be doing something right. I just hold a grudge after absolutely shocking service about 10 years ago. They could offer me free insurance on everything and I'd still tell them to shove it.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Just had a look through their one star reviews - people were rating because they got charged a fee when their DD bounced, other insurers being cheaper etc, not a lot to do with the actual service.

I’ve had policies with them a few times, typically I just go for the cheapest fully comp one every year as they are all crooks in their own way

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
I have used First central, had a not at fault accident last January.

1 phone call, they had deemed the car a write off (over the phone) based on damage and location of it, organised payment and I had a pay out in my bank in 3 days. I did say I wanted contest the valuation, and they said we will send you this money now anyway as an interim payment and hopefully that will get you sorted a bit sooner.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Managed to get Hughes to knock £200 off this years renewal quote off via Axa, so an increase of £50 all in. Could've been worse but still not cheap.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Who are you with and what type of cost was it?
Much harder to compare house insurance costs imo. I’ve all my telescope gear itemised, and outside cover included so I suspect I’m paying a bit more than average. When it comes to a claim, i think there are benefits to staying with the same house insurance company.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Try admiral for a multi car and also your house insurance, they were less than what we were paying with a different company last year and the got me around £750 for the year for both the Lotus and the daily when everyone else wanted around £750 or more for just the lotus!.

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
I replaced the Audi with the Mini and expected my insurance to come down - Nope, it's slightly more :tired_face:

My renewal with Admiral is up 60% from last year for that car and up 50% for the house. The MX5 is up a little and the Supra is pretty much same.

I went through all the usual comparison sites and car insurance sites last night and most loads more expensive than the Admiral renewal price. Guess I'm going to have to use 1st Central's prices to try and get mine down. Of all the comparison sites, U Switch was best for me. Just incase anyone hasn't thought of trying them.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I just tried Admiral. £809 for basic house cover even though I'm an existing car customer. Last year's house insurance was £443, previous year £200 odd. This is becoming an absolute joke considering I've never claimed off anything.

EDIT: Just realised that's not even a year - 243 days to match the date of the car policy.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Halifax was cheapest for me this year. The only time I’ve experienced anywhere offering to pay monthly for no extra cost too.

davyk31

RMS Regular
I just tried Admiral. £809 for basic house cover even though I'm an existing car customer. Last year's house insurance was £443, previous year £200 odd. This is becoming an absolute joke considering I've never claimed off anything.

EDIT: Just realised that's not even a year - 243 days to match the date of the car policy.
I found this with Admiral last year. The quote was something crazy like £700 or £800 when I was paying about £250 elsewhere.

Will try it again this year and see how they quote but can’t imagine it will be too exciting.