F1 2019: ALL CHAT HERE

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
No sign of the fabled easier overtaking. Pretty much business as usual up front.

Great job by Bottas, and a nice one by Max on Vettel. That was it, lol :joy:

Shame to see Leclerc wasn't allowed past Vettel. Ferrari did say they were putting everything on Vettel so fair enough in that sense. But not nice to see one driver held back in the first race like that.

Good to see the Honda is working for RB. McL seem to have swapped blowing up Hondas for blowing up Renaults, lol - maybe it was McL all along and not Honda :innocent:

Lots going on behind the top three, very close, great racing.

As someone else said before, Melbourne is a bit of an odd track. Next couple of races should clear things up. Hard to believe Ferrari would have permanently gone backwards like that.

still tempted to put a bet on max for world champ

few mercs in to each other and he will be ready to pounce

stevyg

RMS Regular
OP
stevyg
Not a hugely exciting Sunday but great race by Bottas, he was 26 seconds ahead when he was told to save his tyres in case a safety car came out. He could have pulled a 30 second gap easily. Hamilton saying there was something wrong with the setup of his car but it will be fixed by the next race and still handily came 2nd. I can't imagine how much work goes into getting a new F1 car on the grid but Mercedes are doing a mighty job. Can't fault them.

Hamilton & Vettel saying in the interviews that its not easier to overtake, its about the same as last year. Maybe we will see the difference on a more open track?

Really disappointed with Ferrari, their performance and for asking Leclerc to stay behind Vettel on the first race of the season. That's just embarrassing and a sure way to lose fans.

I don't claim to know how hard it is to put a wheel with 1 nut on a F1 car but those Haas fellas have their heads up their ass. You have all day & night to practice, you've had all winter to practice, you have one job, put the gun on the nut and pull the trigger. Quit fannying about. : unamused:

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
There was damage Hamiltons car caused at some point near the start of the race:

Pictured: The missing part of Hamilton’s floor

Probably why he was a bit 'off the pace'

On another note while I think it is brilliant that Robert Kubica has managed to make it back to F1 he is clearly way way off the pace. He was around 1.5 seconds a lap slower than his team mate who was already nearly a second slower than the man in 18th. I know the Williams isn't gonna be winning any races anytime soon but there should not be that kinda gap between the drivers esp when your 'rookie' is the fast one. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but I believe there are better men for the job.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Agree about Kubica sadly and I really want to see him doing well. Hopefully it was a one-off for the race, his performance in earlier testing has been good. It's why he got the seat in the end. Well that, and some decent sponsorship presumably, Williams do need cash.

The car did have issues, and they did effectively treat the race as an extended test session, so we don't really know if that was a true performance difference.

But that is a huge difference to his team mate.

Reactions: DC.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
On the Ferrari v Le Clerk - thinking about it now it is really embarrassing for Ferrari and Vettel.

Compare to Mercedes. Bottas got the start, well played. So when they had to cover Vettel at the pit stops, Lewis got to do the honours as second car of the team. Clear as that, no messing. Bottas was in front so Lewis got to ride shotgun even though it ended any chance of Lewis catching Bottas.

Ferrari? Held back Le Clerk in the first race of the season to keep Vettel in front, even though he was clearly slower at that point.

Le Clerk had a scrappy start to the race and nearly binned it early on, lol, but he held it together and finished well. He deserved to get the extra points.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Don’t think Kubica looks up to it either. If he didn’t have the backing of Orlen, Polish Oil and Gas company, he wouldn’t be there. In an ideal world Ocon would be in there leading the team with Russell helping and learning.

Kubica needs to improve over the course of the season otherwise it will look bad on Williams.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
All in all I was pleased with the race. Bottas was untouchable and I hope he can continue it thorughout the season and it wasn't a one race wonder.

Great stuff to see the Red Bull on the back of Hamilton in the final laps as well so hopefully they have the pace to keep up with the Mercs.

Really hoping whatever happend Ferrari is soon sorted and we have 3 teams up for it this year and that Hamilton is under pressure from Bottas

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I’d say if he’s up to it he’ll drive for Alfa Romeo first then step up to Ferrari.

The pressure on him will be incredible.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Patrick Head back at Williams on a short term consultancy basis.

Williams need all the help they can get at the moment and he was one of the best so it certainly won't make them any worse.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Nice one by Le Clerc, I'm really liking him :cool:

They'll all finish in the order they get through the first corner.

Some pace from Ferrari this weekend.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I hope he keeps getting faster , I would love to see him beat Vettel a more times.

Had the beating of Vettel last race too but Ferrari management put a stop to that. I also seen today that the team boss said it was a mistake not to have Le Clerc go for the fastest lap and that it won't happen again.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Ferrari say he is free to go for the win today - if he is in the lead. Still a strong Vettel bias in the team, Charles has done well.

He was well ahead of Vettel as well.

It's looking like last year between Ferrari and Mercedes, down to which team has the best car for each race. RB seem to have fallen back.

All early days though.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
GP2 race just about to start on Sky Sports F1, yesterday's was a cracker.

Mick Schumacher is on pole position too.

e320mark

RMS Regular
Cracking race! Gutted for leclerc! Vettel back to his spinning ways! I think leclerc has rattled him! Will be interesting to see how the season unfolds!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
After that race I think the only one who can actually challenge Hamilton for the championship will be LeClerc. Vettel clearly isn’t good enough and has cracked under pressure yet again

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.