F1 2021

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Bottas wasn’t complaining when was passing max like a sitting duck last year to be fair.

Verstappen passing him was inevitable, Perez passing him was avoidable. Still feel Merc should have split strategies, fairly sure they would have known even with Lewis’ tyres at the low limit Perez wouldn’t catch him. Could have gave Bottas a fighting chance for 3rd or even fastest lap

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I was surprised they didn't pit Bottas for fastest lap once Perez had passed. Guess they or he couldn't be bothered, just sick of it :innocent:

Don't see how Bottas could possibly hold off Perez. No grip, and no traction. Sitting duck.

Lewis tyre management at the front, I have no idea how he did that. He was pushing so hard against Max before RB pitted, and then that long stint on the same tyres. And still appeared to have more left than Bottas. It was always a long shot, but worst case second place where they would be anyway.

They backed themselves into a corner with delaying the first pit stop but I'm not sure it would have made that much difference. Max pulled a blinder of an out lap, that's what really clinched the race.

KevM

RMS Regular
To be fair to Bottas, I think he drove really really well considering the position the Team left the two of them in. DC is quick to criticise him during and after the race, but its the first race in a while that I think Valtteri was really fired up!

pablo

RMS Moderator
I dunno, he was right on Lewis's tail then went backwards and got passed by Perez. He should really have been 2s behind Lewis to the end. Lewis was doing all the work fighting Max too. All Bottas needed to do was hang back and push towards the end.

KevM

RMS Regular
It sounded like he was driving with a 2-stop in mind. He had probably spent the tyres in dirty air before he realised that he was expected to go the full distance.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Bottas dropped back on purpose to give more breathing space to Lewis. No point sitting on Lewis' gearbox if his job was to hold up Max a bit. Which it was.

Max got past on the first corner when Bottas couldn't hold him off on the brakes (no grip). Perez took one more corner and then just sailed by on the exit just on traction alone.

Once Perez was past there was no point in Bottas doing anything more, a minute (!) in the bank to Norris behind. So just go into engine preservation mode and cruise home.

There wasn't much Lewis could do either, only took one corner for Max to get past. Same thing, just glide by on the brakes and then away on traction. Was only a half hearted attempt by Lewis to "defend" really. Nothing he could do.

Lewis did seem to have more left of his tyres than Bottas though, that is definitely true.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
No tyres really has such an effect on their braking too. Bottas really could do nothing. Maybe all this talk of Russell moving this weekend has him fired up, but he was great all weekend.

I can’t see George being a second seat man if he gets the seat.

Dani Ric did a bit better this weekend but certainly not the performances I was expecting from him and he surely should be used to the car by now?

Perez is finally the perfect man in that RB second seat, they would be mad not to extend his contract this year!

pablo

RMS Moderator
Bottas dropped back on purpose to give more breathing space to Lewis. No point sitting on Lewis' gearbox if his job was to hold up Max a bit. Which it was.

Max got past on the first corner when Bottas couldn't hold him off on the brakes (no grip). Perez took one more corner and then just sailed by on the exit just on traction alone.

Once Perez was past there was no point in Bottas doing anything more, a minute (!) in the bank to Norris behind. So just go into engine preservation mode and cruise home.

There wasn't much Lewis could do either, only took one corner for Max to get past. Same thing, just glide by on the brakes and then away on traction. Was only a half hearted attempt by Lewis to "defend" really. Nothing he could do.

Lewis did seem to have more left of his tyres than Bottas though, that is definitely true.

why did he not sit 2s off the back of Lewis? Then Perez might not have caught him and he could have secured 3rd.

Also confused why they didnt bring him in for a fastest lap attempt once Perez passed, pretty sure he would have had time.

Screenshot 2021-06-21 at 11.52.27.png

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, thought about the fastest lap as well, that seemed obvious with a minute in the bank to Norris. I guess either he or the team just couldn't be bothered 😅 Or maybe they were short on tyres. Or the long pit lane would put him back into traffic. Or something.

No point sitting on the gearbox of Lewis when his job was to delay Max if possible. Need to be a good bit back to create space for Lewis. Basically, first Max has to catch and pass Bottas. And then still has to catch Lewis, taking more out of his own tyres in getting there.

KevM

RMS Regular
They didnt box him for fastest lap as they were gambling on Perez getting a 5-10 sec slap on the wrist for passing him beyond track limits (which never happened)

Robert

RMS Trader
At last a genuine battle for both championships. We have been waiting years for this. It’s looking more and more like RB have a good all round car, will just be a pity if they get nailed for the rear wing etc and end up playing catch-up again ☹️

stevyg

RMS Regular
Great race at the front. I thought Hamilton done enough but Verstappen just had the tyres. Mercedes messed up on that strategy once again, I think in the past they have relied on their drivers to do the work and they could try wild strategies to get ahead. Now they need to be very calculated and cover RB which they aren't doing so well. They should've left Lewis out for 1 lap instead of 2. Why did Bottas not get penilised for entering the track wrong? Did anyone watch Verstappens fastest quali lap Vs Hamilton? That RB is mega on the straights, seems like Mercedes have the brakes and downforce but not enough grunt. Honda have done wonders with that engine. Really impressive.
My DoTD was a toss up between Max & Stroll. Stroll was passing people left & right, he just didn't get enough TV coverage. Amazing drive from him. Dan & Lando both had great races. Bottas had enough tyres to put up a bit of a fight against Max but he couldn't, he didn't have too bad a weekend....up until it mattered. Russell 12th in a Williams with no DNFs? That was a great result for him, he's really putting his neck out to get that Bottas seat.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
The Honda powered stuff is fast in FP1 this weekend, gasley in P2!

Think he must be my favourite driver alongside Norris!

shows the pace of that Honda engine though that Tsu managed P5 lol

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Mercedes explained that Hamilton lost time in France last weekend during his pitstop due to wheel spin so they asked Bottas to try leaving his pitstop today in 2nd gear to see if there was any difference. It didn’t turn out too well for him or them.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I see FIA are starting to clamp down on automated pit release systems. Which were banned after a mechanic got run over. But because there is no specific "test" it turns out "some" teams (guess who...) are using them again...

So there is a new requirement for specific delays between certain steps in the pit sequence to eliminate the advantage of automated systems. New "clarifications" in force from August.

The RB is still running the bendy wings, that accounts for at least some of the straight line overspeed.

Will be interesting to see if/how the playing field changes from Silverstone.

scub

Banned
Mercedes explained that Hamilton lost time in France last weekend during his pitstop due to wheel spin so they asked Bottas to try leaving his pitstop today in 2nd gear to see if there was any difference. It didn’t turn out too well for him or them.
why would bottas try to sort out Hamiltons mistakes?
surely his error to correct?
(that was not an anti Lewis question btw 😆😇)

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Maybe Hamilton tried it and didn’t spin, they never said.

scub

Banned
reall
Because he’s paid by merc and the boss asked him to try starting in 2nd gear. Probably enough of a reason tbh.
really - ruin your own race & championship to check how your teammates car might go?
can't believe he's that much of a b1tch tbh 🤷‍♂️

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.