F1 2022

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Saved Nissany’s life in the F2 race this morning. No doubt about it.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Zhou was very lucky. Great win for Sainz.

Screenshot_20220703-183455_Samsung Internet.jpg

pablo

RMS Moderator
I don’t see why Carlos cared? Let Leclerc get 10 lengths ahead and he is still the same distance to Lewis in 3rd only now Leclerc has some breathing space. It only mattered for Carlos to pass for the lead. Which is fair, but don’t pretend otherwise

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Carlos wouldn’t give Max or Lewis 10 lengths at a safety car restart so I don’t see why he should give Charles 10.

At the end of the day Carlos was chasing his first win and was in a great position to achieve that. Kudos to him for standing up for himself.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Just gonna leave this here, see what you all think 😅.

Looking at angle and steering angle, I'd go as far as saying he looked more like making the apex last year 🤔

View attachment 367395
Difference is unlike Max, Charles didn’t also aim for the apex when there was another car in the way 🤐😂

But mainly, understeers a b!tch 😂

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Tbh it was just an unreal race, even before the safety car I was loving it. Tbf I think they got the drs zones spot on just gave a boost without being a sure thing.

I’ll admit I even got carried away and cheered when LH went up the inside of Charles and Perez 🙈🙈 thankfully no one saw me 😂.

Tbh real shame GR & Max weren’t there as well would have been class 6 cars very even 🤞continues next time round.

Was really happy Sainz made it stick, think it was really important for him.

e320mark

RMS Regular
What a race that was to be at for F1 for the first time, since we arrived late on Wednesday, you could kind of tell it would produce something special, the atmosphere was off the chart from when we first arrived!
If you haven’t, get to a race, it’s just amazing! Highlight was Seb in his FW14b, what a noise!
58B671E8-36A7-4E79-935A-97515858F17D.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
The most exciting race so far this year!

Unreal accident for Zhou and so glad (and amazed) that he is ok along with Albon and others.

Those last laps after the safety car were just phenomenal! Proper edge of the seat viewing!! Proper decent racing on Copse corner, no dirty turning in when another car was there! 👀

Speaking of which, some gurning done by Max! Sounded like he was all but begging to be brought in when he lost confidence in the car.

Sainz may well get a bit of a rollicking for disobeying team orders, but I think he was right to do so, especially when you seen how much space he put between himself and LeClerc before that almighty battle!

I’m still buzzing here after that excitement! lol

Last edited:

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I really think if Sainz had obeyed and backed up Hamilton and Perez to give Charles that gap, it would have ended up with neither Ferrari winning. Ferrari's strategy department is a mess and will probably be the reason that one of the redbull drivers will win the championship this year.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
What a race that was to be at for F1 for the first time, since we arrived late on Wednesday, you could kind of tell it would produce something special, the atmosphere was off the chart from when we first arrived!
If you haven’t, get to a race, it’s just amazing! Highlight was Seb in his FW14b, what a noise!View attachment 367412

I was in Monaco in 2008 for my first and only F1 so far, was amazing, would love to go back or do another

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I really think if Sainz had obeyed and backed up Hamilton and Perez to give Charles that gap, it would have ended up with neither Ferrari winning. Ferrari's strategy department is a mess and will probably be the reason that one of the redbull drivers will win the championship this year.
This. Once they left Charles on old tyres and Sainz on new softs the race was over. Everyone else was on softs too. They really completely messed up Charles' race, from start to finish.

Can't blame Sainz for taking advantage either.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Completely agree! It’s actually maddening to see a strategy team get it sooooo wrong!

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Tbh not pitting charles is the same decision taken my nearly every team in memory when ur leading into a late safety car in the lead (final race of the season last year), cause you don’t know what people behind will do, he could have come out in about 6th if he went in and others didn’t with Sainz potentially even further back from being stacked.

In the lead was the worst place to be, and I think ferrari were between a rock and a hard place. The asking to stay 10 car lengths back was insane though 😂 and the faffin around with switching the lead took way too long.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
bh not pitting charles is the same decision taken my nearly every team in memory when ur leading into a late safety car in the lead (final race of the season last year), cause you don’t know what people behind will do, he could have come out in about 6th if he went in and others didn’t with Sainz potentially even further back from being stacked.
Yep, rock and hard place on that one.

Slightly different last year as everyone assumed the race would end behind the safety car with so few laps left that time, as per normal rules...

There were quite a few laps to go still in the race this year. So even dropping a place or two for new tyres would have been worth it compared to getting mugged. Plus the chance of making up places if need be. There really was nothing to lose pitting Charles this time.

Always easy to have all the answers after the fact, lol :innocent:

By pitting Sainz instead of Charles, which they did, they must have known they were handing the race win to Sainz and shooting Charles in the foot. There is no other way that could have ended, they must have known that.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Think George made that same comment, with his driver safety hat on. He said it took so long to clear because that was how long it took to get Zhou out of the car with it wedged in like that. George didn't mention the word fire but I'm sure he was thinking exactly that. Or even if Zhou had had a serious injury and it took this long to get him out.

e320mark

RMS Regular
I dread to think of the outcome had that car went on fire, thinking back to the grosjean crash. Could he have squeezed out from that position
As far as I know they had to pull the tyre barriers out & get access to him that way, some people beside us in the stand had binoculars & they were able to see what was happening. George Russell is a legend, jumped out of his car & ran straight to him to see if he could do anything!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Mental. Def needs higher fences there and a bigger gap between tyre wall and fence to stop a car getting wedged like that upside down. A detached wheel or 2 would probably have ended up in the crowd and taking someone’s head off