MOT: Vehicle test centre closes over fault in car lifts

AndyMc

RMS Regular
Drives
C350
Took her car through today, had the exemption letter for weeks but no cancellation phone call so thought I would try and they stuck it through anyway.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Surprised this hasnt been locked down yet.

Random people sitting beside the testers, and testers getting into unknown and unclean vehicles ?

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Surprised this hasnt been locked down yet.

Random people sitting beside the testers, and testers getting into unknown and unclean vehicles ?
It’s happening now, staff in Enniskillen brought it up with the boss.

Likely complete closure for 3 months is whet I heard.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
It’s happening now, staff in Enniskillen brought it up with the boss.

Likely complete closure for 3 months is whet I heard.

With full pay.

Time for more and fuller exemptions ! But at least it will give the MAHA guys time to fit new ramps.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
My Westfield is currently in test and not due until 6th April, I just booked a date online for June, what happens now can I just drive away at her?

Yet again did not get a reminder in the post, bloody joke. I've complained several times on different cars about not getting reminders, they seem to have got really poor at sending them out?

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
our work van just got an exemption threw the post

it was due it’s first mot in april and we had it booked in looks like they are gonna stop doing mots all together

Dave..

RMS Regular
My Westfield is currently in test and not due until 6th April, I just booked a date online for June, what happens now can I just drive away at her?

Yet again did not get a reminder in the post, bloody joke. I've complained several times on different cars about not getting reminders, they seem to have got really poor at sending them out?
Just booked a car for May so will see what happens, hopefully it goes ahead. Booked in Balmoral, Saturday was the only day available.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
I can't understand how vehicle owners don't remember their own MOT dates or book them on time. It's not that difficult to keep on top of.

Easy if you have 1 car, work 9-5 and spend your spare time ****ing over your pride and joy... but when u run several businesses and have a number of private and commercial vehicles it ain’t so easy to remember them all?

Dave..

RMS Regular
Easy if you have 1 car, work 9-5 and spend your spare time ****ing over your pride and joy... but when u run several businesses and have a number of private and commercial vehicles it ain’t so easy to remember them all?
After I booked it a reminder letter appeared.

Head Gasket

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo S60

You don't have to remember them. There are loads of alternative ways other than the DVLA to receive reminders about MOTs and servicing etc, most of which are free. I use Total Car Check to keep on top of things like tax, MOT and servicing etc for seven vehicles. It sends free reminders well in advance, so there's no excuse. You've concluded that the DVLA have been unreliable over the years with their reminders, so surely it would be logical to search for a more reliable alternative?

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO

If you don’t get an exception letter in a week check the gov website, it will be updated to the new date adding 4 months on.

just drive away, all it’s doing is extending your mot by 4 months. As always it’s up to you to make sure the cars road worthy.

Alexmck

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
Iv had 5 or 6 mots cancelled and only one have i got an email to say it was cancelled and one refund, All have got the 4 months exemption

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Dad has a exemption for his classic 911 as it has been here a while. His F-type needed the test as he got it in England recently. But given he’s 70 he never bothered going for the test, running a 3rd car through is hardly a priority. I wasn’t free to run it up for him. Back to the drawing board on getting it a date.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
England etc....but a sign of things to come. Oddly it doesnt actually give reasons though.

Might be down to keeping as many HGVs on the road as possible regardless of condition to keep supply chains moving as efficiently as possible. Leaving the condition of said vehicles to the owner/operators to keep on top of

But I could be wrong, I'd rather drive a roadworthy lorry than one that got a by ball for 3 months on a technicality

heavyoilhenry

RMS Regular
Drives
GTTDi-Rascal TLr
Appointment for Newry at 10:25 this morning, Was taken over HGV lane, in and out in around 15 mins.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Might be down to keeping as many HGVs on the road as possible regardless of condition to keep supply chains moving as efficiently as possible. Leaving the condition of said vehicles to the owner/operators to keep on top of

But I could be wrong, I'd rather drive a roadworthy lorry than one that got a by ball for 3 months on a technicality

As you know, the MOT means little, the vehicle should be kept roadworthy at all times and an MOT does not mean a vehicle is roadworthy