Polisher Buying Guide?

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Is it possible to buy a 1 inch fitting kit for a Dremel? I have one of these at home, so rather than buying a machine for smaller jobs, are there little kits for the job?

999_3202_12.jpg

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
Or has anyone tried one of these Proxxon polishers. It's advertised as a metal polisher, but looking at it, it would be a cheaper alternative to the Ibrid Nano. I'm not putting both in the same class, but for the minimal use of a 1 inch pad would get, it may do the job.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
The thing about the Nano is that you can use it as a DA, when you use a rotary at such a small scale it creates so many defects of its own that it becomes a problem in its own right lol.

There isn't alot I can't do with the 75 and just taping off an area properly

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
Can anyone recommend where I can go to pick up car care products? E.g. polishing pads, products etc that is local to me

I'm located halfway between portadown and dungannon

I usually just order online but if I needed polishing pads today where could i go.

I've bought stuff from AC Components before but selection wouldn't be great for pads etc.

bora-gav

RMS Regular
Drives
VW/SKODA
I had googled mapped blok51 the other day but there an hour away from me, tho looks like a great setup.
Just can't think of anywhere handy bar Halfords.

Might make a list of stuff I need and maybe take a run upto blok51 and make it a worth while trip

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
I had googled mapped blok51 the other day but there an hour away from me, tho looks like a great setup.
Just can't think of anywhere handy bar Halfords.

Might make a list of stuff I need and maybe take a run upto blok51 and make it a worth while trip

Blok51 offer next day delivery

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Want to remove the majority of swirl marks on my Audi (black paint so see everything) done some DA polishing but far from an expert. Used to use Merenza polishes however this are all finished and looking to replace. can someone give me a decent polish and pad that works well for fine cutting . Using das 6 DA

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Megs 105 and 205 will be your best bet. Will make up for the lack of aggression in the machine. Depending how bad it is you might be 3-4 sets a section to see a good improvement :grinning:

Megs Microfibre to cut and then a yellow pad to finish. Black won't be enough to deal with the micromarring

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
@big_pete On a 'clean' car (not a full decon) is it safe to apply wax/sealant by machine with a soft pad (Rupes white) on a low speed without causing any marks on the paint?

a220dms

RMS Regular
Detailing virgin checking in - Planning on picking up a das6 pro sometime soon before summer, have to clear out all the sh*te that’s accumulated in my garage first. Then I have to work out when I’m going to get the free time to actually detail my car properly.

In the meantime to give a bit of shine for a month or two I was planning to use AG SRP to fill the swirls and seal with the c2 v3 spray. Is this a bad idea and should I use panel wipe after SRP? It’s a black a class.

a220dms

RMS Regular
How about panel wipe -> SRP -> C2?

I’m thinking I should just forget about the SRP.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Panel wipe is to remove any residue or oils so your protection can bond to bare paint. So you won't see any advantage really before applying SRP.

Wash and properly decontaminate the car, tar, fallout and clay, then SRP then C2 :grinning:

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
I'm an amateur at best, but I'm happy with the results. Black is really, REALLY difficult, at least for me.

I think every panel has been painted on this car, so my 'method', for want of a better word, might not apply to the other panels. Started with a yellow Rupes pad with Rupes Keramik, wasn't enough. Moved up to a green Rupes pad with Rupes Quartz and I started to get the cut I wanted, but it left the paint really hazy. Went back down to the yellow/Keramic combo, but was still left hazy, but better. Finished off with a white Rupes pad with Rupes Diamond and it seems to have finished the job well.

A few issues I encountered that I'd like help with. The product, after being worked, had sort of dried into the clear coat and needed a firmer wipe down to remove. Was I over working the product, or is that to be expected? I don't feel like I over worked it, and used little to no pressure on the machine (a Rupes LHR75e). I also don't have a paint depth gauge, but for this car, I feel it's pointless as there's most likely several, un uniformed layers of primer, paint and clear coat.

This was the before and after,

IMG_2019-03-27_20-20-58.JPG

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
What you are experiencing is "sticky" paint. To get round it add a little finishing polish into your cutting stage. Something really oily like Megs 205 will really help with residue removal. Also work in smaller sections as it keeps the polish active.

As the polish dries and bakes on sticky paint, when you go over it with the machine, you are then introducing the marring. So smaller sections and a mix with oily finishing polish will drastically reduce it.

If you have a rotary, finish down with it at lowish speed with a very oily finishing polish and it will really sharpen the finish and take out any remaining marring :grinning: