RMS Epic Workshop/ Garage Thread: Show me your bench/garage

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Got all the doors on the shed and I have a couple of small gaps of about 5mm under the door seals in places. I thought I'd simulate rain hitting the doors and as I suspected......... It will be a big issue on one of them and lesser on another.

I looked up garage door seals but I want to hear options on what to do.

I've 3 2.7m doors to seal and the centre of the doors are 100mm from the frame edge.

DSC_1336.JPG

DSC_1335.JPG

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Can the brackets be adjusted slightly and tilt the door slightly to run in line with the floor?

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Can the brackets be adjusted slightly and tilt the door slightly to run in line with the floor?
No as the sides of the door frame would have to come off to allow access to the nuts for the brackets. I didn't want to go that way, it would help but I doubt it would result in a good seal anyway.

I think a rubber floor seal is the best way to go, I've just never seen one fitted

thefool1983

RMS Regular
No as the sides of the door frame would have to come off to allow access to the nuts for the brackets. I didn't want to go that way, it would help but I doubt it would result in a good seal anyway.

I think a rubber floor seal is the best way to go, I've just never seen one fitted
Another option would be to cut a rebate into concrete as shown on here previously.
The door then extends below slab.

A bit of angle over the step then would stop it chipping.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Another option would be to cut a rebate into concrete as shown on here previously.
The door then extends below slab.

A bit of angle over the step then would stop it chipping.
I'd do that but it's a metal frame on the edge, I'd have to cut it or drill drain holes through it. Don't think that's a good option, not sure though.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
I'd do that but it's a metal frame on the edge, I'd have to cut it or drill drain holes through it. Don't think that's a good option, not sure though.
Be the cheapest solution like.
The frame shouldn't be doing anything now the slab is in.
Worth thinking about anyway

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Be the cheapest solution like.
The frame shouldn't be doing anything now the slab is in.
Worth thinking about anyway
Might well be worth a try as its a free mod, the door seals are at least £100...........................cut a 10mm deep track just below the centre of the door seal the length of the door, then drill 4 10mm holes through the front to meet channel.

If it doesn't work I can just stick the rubber seal over the track.

First stop is speak to the man that supplied the shed and see what he suggests.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular

look back a few pages showing the door seals and link I fitted.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Might well be worth a try as its a free mod, the door seals are at least £100...........................cut a 10mm deep track just below the centre of the door seal the length of the door, then drill 4 10mm holes through the front to meet channel.

You could nail a bit of timber down as a guide for the grinder/saw to give a nice straight line 👍

MarkM

RMS Regular

This stuff?
Rubber Garage Door Floor Threshold Weather Draft Excluder Seal Protector (9FT + 1 x Prestige Adhesive) Amazon product ASIN B07H7P5HM7

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
You could nail a bit of timber down as a guide for the grinder/saw to give a nice straight line 👍
Just thought of another idea, cut one 5mm deep track under the door seal and then drill a couple of holes along the track straight down through the 5" concrete into the base stone. Should work.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Maybe you could run a fat bead of sealer, sikaflex, CP1, or similar on the bottom of the door seal. Then rub vaseline on the steel threshold, then lower the door and leave it overnight to set. Then raise the next morning and see if it worked.

thefool1983

RMS Regular
Just thought of another idea, cut one 5mm deep track under the door seal and then drill a couple of holes along the track straight down through the 5" concrete into the base stone. Should work.
Do you not have DPM under slab? I wouldn't wanna be breaching that

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
I need todo this as the inside of my garage has suffered from Condensation not escaping so im planning on removing what i had fitted and starting again this summer. Also with Gas being installed soon Im going to relocate the oil heating to the garage.

Finally got time to get my high level vent fitted, did the low level one on the opposite gable during winter, hopefully this will help with condensation on cold nights :no_mouth:
View attachment 318980
View attachment 318981

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d

There may be a bigger seal that can be put on the bottom of the door to replace the one that's on it, mine looks like a lot bigger than that one but I also have a step.