Trackskills at Kirkistown.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Did we hear you lock up going down the back straight in the later sessions? Forgot to ask you 🙊😂
🤐 and heading into Colonial in the same run, pulled back a bit and got cleaner again after that.

Was in the very last session I think, was gaining on the blue E46 M3 but was just starting to push a bit much 😅. Lap or too later he was on the grass at colonial.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
🤐 and heading into Colonial in the same run, pulled back a bit and got cleaner again after that.

Was in the very last session I think, was gaining on the blue E46 M3 but was just starting to push a bit much 😅. Lap or too later he was on the grass at colonial.

Should've done the same myself 😬

Was trying to manage faded brakes and lost focus on my tyre 🤣 ended up cutting some grass myself at the hairpin. Combo of not enough brakes left and the front left not gripping

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I brought this sofa down and got a few snaps from its boot, at the hairpin.

IMG_20210704_123459.jpg

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
video of my fastest lap, didn’t expect the phone holder I had in the car to take anywhere near as steady a video as hadn’t planned on taking one.

My phone holder is shocking. Ended up recording vertically too because I thought it wouldn't record horizontal 🤦🏻‍♂️

That's a great lap 😯

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
My phone holder is shocking. Ended up recording vertically too because I thought it wouldn't record horizontal 🤦🏻‍♂️

That's a great lap 😯
I was really surprised mine stayed so steady, it’s a £4 one from Asda 😂. Had the phones weight on the dash which seemed to help a lot.

Thanks, watching the video today it’s clear to see that my cleanest overall lap of the day, lost a bit in the last corner tho.

lap 5 of that session I had already let the M3 past and was trying to keep up, that’s when I went properly flat through debtors. GPS saying 125mph.

warren

RMS Photographer
What do people do about trackway insurance? Do many use it or just wing it on the day?

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
What do people do about trackway insurance? Do many use it or just wing it on the day?
Hoped for the best. Did mean to ring Adrian Flux as I’m with them and they offer it but I completely forgot with other things going on.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
All depends on value, etc. Also I don't know what the track insurance actually covers.

I've never seen two cars come together on a track day. It's not a race event and for the most part people show respect for each other.

Just use common sense, don't drive like Colin McRae, don't hold people up, and remember it's all about having fun.

Accidents are rare but do happen. Usually driver error, or a mechanical problem. So make sure the car is well serviced, drive with mechanical sympathy, and stop when tyres/brakes/engine go off, get hot, etc.

Another really good way to avoid accidents is to leave the lap timer at home. Chasing lap times is a great way to have "moments".

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
Out of interest I priced up a couple of different trackday insurance companies and it came in at an average of around £180.

Entry - £140
Fuel - £100
Insurance - £180

Total without the obvious oil changes, tyres, brake pads etc quickly adds up!

evo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Ariel Atom 300
Video of the last day from my Go pro.

At 2.35 in the video I’ve made a bit of a bad move here by going in between the cars. If you are a new driver to track days stay to the right an let the faster cars pass on the left if you see them come behind you.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Out of interest I priced up a couple of different trackday insurance companies and it came in at an average of around £180.

Entry - £140
Fuel - £100
Insurance - £180

Total without the obvious oil changes, tyres, brake pads etc quickly adds up!
Yeah, entry £140, fuel for me was probably cost me £120-140 with travelling and the track, extra oil change before the day about £45, DS2500 pads £150 tho they’ll last a good while yet like, then any other wear and tear especially tyres. Not a cheap day. But be sensible and don’t reck the car or try and drive flat out all the time etc and will keep the wear and tear down.

for me it was worth it, had a brilliant days craic in the car and seeing what it could actually do. And then just hanging out chatting with ones on here I’ve met before and then other randomers coming over for a chat etc it was just a great day out.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Used about 1/3 tank of fuel and brakes and tyres are still like new. One advantage of a simple, light car.

The exhaust, however, is in bits so that’s going to cost a small fortune 😆

How many sessions did you do 😳

I used near a quarter tank a session ffs 😂

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
How many sessions did you do 😳

I used near a quarter tank a session ffs 😂

About 3.5 with the exhaust coming off in the middle of one session.

The MX5 was similar. One set of tyres did about half dozen track days and they were still OK for another few more and the pads and discs were only about 1/4 gone.

It’s why I’ve generally went with slower & lighter stuff. Once it’s set up it’s usually fairly cheap to keep it going and it’s still good craic.

Had a V6 MGZS for a while and it was needed a fortune to get it ready between track days lol