VW diesel emissions scandal

dufunk

RMS Regular
Ah right not so bad then! Still cant see how it is going to persuade people to get rid of their older diesel motors now if anything they will keep hold of them longer!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Or the rest of the world are over exaggerating it all ?

It's no big deal really, and daft it has cost them so much money...and even worse didnt some go to jail over it ? Mental.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
So should those who made the flawed tests also be jailed, as they must be complicit too ?

Corporate/management ultimately responsible. What sort of example would be set by prosecuting Mr No Name Average Joe in a multi billion £ company like VW ? The guys writing the software or doing the tests would be under instruction. They'd mostly be normal folk trying to make a living and fearing for their jobs.

Different scenario. The technical services guy who caused the roller coaster crash at Alton Towers didn't get fined or prosecuted yet he was the person with the safety bypass keys who released the coaster train full of people into the empty train that had stalled on a loop. He went against protocol.

They didn't go after him though as the H&S executive and prosecution were able to prove the guy felt pressurised to get the ride going again. Alton Towers/Merlin entertainment got fined £5 million, if someone had have died there may have been a corporate manslaughter charge.

I don't know the full story with the VW disaster but I'd bet that there were people being pressured into doing things they wouldn't normally do and fearing for their jobs if they didn't do it.

Last edited:

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
See there is a lot of adverts for compensation at the minute because of the scandal. Has anyone actually got a payout, or is it another PPI type annoyance?

If i thought i would get enough to go through the hassle id do it, but dont want to bring a load of grief over something i dont particularly care about.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
See there is a lot of adverts for compensation at the minute because of the scandal. Has anyone actually got a payout, or is it another PPI type annoyance?

If i thought i would get enough to go through the hassle id do it, but dont want to bring a load of grief over something i dont particularly care about.

It's another PPI annoyance.

Pretty much this. I looked into it briefly and all the big law firms doing this are England, Scotland and Wales only. As NI law is different the way they're going about it can't be done here (or something like that). I'm just ignoring it now and I only had the derv for 16 months (16 long, very boring months that confirmed how much I dislike diesel) and it didn't really cost me anything so I'm not overly worried about it.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
And time for round 2 now - to everyone's shock and complete surprise hybrids and plugin hybrids get bought by fleets purely based on grants and congestion charges, and real world mpg around 40mpg rather than claimed 100+ :joy:

When the grants were scrapped recently nearly all these models disappeared from the catalogues.

What a surprise :joy:

Subsidised plug-in cars driven on fuel

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Anyone believing they can do 130mpg in the real world needs their heads looked at ! and those making the claims need a good slap

PaddyCvr

RMS Regular
Drives
Lancer/Mazda