What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Brake pad warning came on the Range Rover the other day, just as I'm about to head back to work. Thought it would do another good few miles before the pads were actually done but next day started grinding ffs.

Was the rear pads so quickly bought a set from GSF before they closed on Saturday, and tried to quickly bang them in. Both pistons siezed solid and dust boots unseated, turned a half hour job in to a "leave it over night and another hour the next day" type job instead ffs, but all good now.

IMG-20240302-WA0059.jpeg

IMG-20240302-WA0091.jpeg

20240302_173248.jpg

And today popped the wheel off the Yaris as it's getting a refurb into a GRMN style one in alcantara.

20240304_120223.jpg

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
You’ll be glad to get back to work to get a rest 😂

Yeah back tomorrow so both me and the lift glad to get a rest 😂
Ebay will be hit hard no doubt so will arrive home to a plethora of bits to fit no doubt 😍

• Love
Reactions: DC.

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
Decided to do a sunrise blast up the coast this morning, something I haven't done in a while. Was slightly worried when I heard the rain battering off the window, but up and away at 5.45am.

Honestly can say it was the best run up that road I've ever had! Passed a couple of cars going the opposite direction but between Larne and Kelly's caravan site in Portrush I never came upon another car at all! And that's with stopping for photos and stuff. Whole road all to myself, honestly was perfect, definitely up there with one of my most memorable drives. Love that wee Yaris lol.

Clouds cleared and sun even came up at the exact time it was meant to! Was in Portstewart for a nice breakfast then on to Blackheath where I forgot to take any photos ffs.

View attachment 426971View attachment 426972View attachment 426973View attachment 426974View attachment 426975View attachment 426976View attachment 426977
Sounds like a perfect day to me bud!! Might have to do the same when I get home. Give the big cat a chance to stretch its legs. Did it years ago to do a sunrise photo at Giant's causeway. The pic didn't work out, but the drive was brill!!

Nothing worse than being held up on that road though as tourists gawp and dawdle doing as little as 30 on the main sections with no chance of passing either due to blind corners or trains of oncoming cars - due to the front of that queue doing 30, gawping and dawdling along.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Cheap 18" F10 wheels bought for track use.
Refurbed by Powdertek in Speedline Gold. Accelera 651 Sport extra tyres mounted that I got from Tirestreets in a BF sale.
Need to ceramic coat them still.

New badges and center caps on route from @Matthew97 (Prentice BMW)

Though I quite like them as is, looks purposeful!

Screenshot_20240307_210834_Chrome.jpg

20240307_144118.jpg

20240307_164108.jpg

Matthew97

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Picked the BM back from Colm Hyland at Banbridge Motor Works

For those not in the know and for a bit of advise for others, it’s a 2015 F31 330d msport+ with the ZF 8HP gearbox. The car now has just under 142k miles and previously had a gearbox flush done around the 90k mark.

Recently the gearbox just hasn’t felt 100% and getting a bit clunky when changing gears and generally feeling laggy. Occasionally when hitting a gap out of a junction it almost felt like it was slipping but lift off and reapply the toe and it would have went like a stabbed rat again.

After getting car back from JKC for its EGR cooler recall it started throwing up ‘drivetrain malfunction’ warning message but it would quickly disappear and never left a readable code.

combined with the above and the miles it was really due another gearbox service so spoke with Colm and booked it in after explaining concerns and describing what it was doing.

This was discussed in another thread so thought I’d add it here too for info but Colm does not recommend a gearbox flush on these gearboxes. Anyway, car left in, he test drove it and said it wasn’t the transfer case causing issues and that he couldn’t replicate any slipping. After a phone call we decided while he was in that deep we’d be best changing the mechatronics solenoids as that would be the likely cause of the issue.

Happy to report that the gearbox is night and day different. Silky smooth gear changes, very noticeable change and improvement in how it drives in general and randomly an increase in mpg. It also turns out the ‘drivetrain malfunction’ messages were because JKC forgot to plug in a radiator fan after doing the egr cooler.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
I’ve a ZF 8 with 148k and it’s the nicest feeling gearbox I’ve ever had. It’s had one oil change, need to check it if it’s due again

richie_mck

RMS Regular
@richie_mck does he still recommend a fluid and filter change at certain intervals, just not a flush?

Didn’t discuss intervals but it would be a filter change every service.
I’ve a ZF 8 with 148k and it’s the nicest feeling gearbox I’ve ever had. It’s had one oil change, need to check it if it’s due again
Fantastic gearbox, real pleasure to drive, I wouldn’t entertain a manwell over it

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
Was told every 50k, if you send it on, or 60k, normal driving, for the zf. Filter is a sump off job is it not?

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Removed the wheel spacers to see how it looks without them. Think I prefer the more standard stance..

Before

IMG_5290.jpeg

After

IMG_5320.jpeg

IMG_5322.jpeg

Also did a bit of arch cleaning & took the opportunity to wax the back of the wheels. Truth be told, there wasn’t much dirt under the arches at all.

IMG_5305.jpeg

IMG_5306.jpeg

IMG_5319.jpeg

IMG_5324.jpeg

Bit of an anticlimax after it all though.. went for a short test run to let the springs settle again and heard scoring from the front.

Bit of head scratching and some googling, the long spacer bolts were doing the rubbing.

Set of standard bolts required!

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Removed the wheel spacers to see how it looks without them. Think I prefer the more standard stance..

Before

IMG_5290.jpeg

After

IMG_5320.jpeg

IMG_5322.jpeg

Also did a bit of arch cleaning & took the opportunity to wax the back of the wheels. Truth be told, there wasn’t much dirt under the arches at all.

IMG_5305.jpeg

IMG_5306.jpeg

IMG_5319.jpeg

IMG_5324.jpeg

Bit of an anticlimax after it all though.. went for a short test run to let the springs settle again and heard scoring from the front.

Bit of head scratching and some googling, the long spacer bolts were doing the rubbing.

Set of standard bolts required!

Is it just the front bolts rubbing on the backing plates Barry? What about the rear?

I've 10 standard silver bolts here, if any use to you? M12x1.5 thread. About 28mm in length.

P.S. Looks better with them fitted. :kissing_heart:

bolt1.jpg

bolt2.jpg

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
That’s it Ryan yeah.. Just the front rubbing on the backing plates it seems. Have you come across that before?

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Changed the alternator clutch pulley on my son's mk4 wagon yesterday. Tensioner was jumping all over the place and on full steering lock there was a noise like a helicopter and the belt was jumping. Pulley had no freewheel at all, locked in both directions. Everything smooth as silk now and he's reporting the mpg has went up when town driving.

Got me curious and checked the rest of the cars and on the dervs the clutch pulleys are fine. The 1.8t has a solid pulley strangely, maybe it's just a diesel thing as the petrols idle smoother?

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
Finished putting the brakes, and suspension back into the Z4. Got the fluid flushed and replaced while it was all apart. I want to renew the coolant over the weekend then it’s ready for a really good clean. All the dust and crud from the last lot of weeks work has settled on it so it’s looking very sorry for itself. Roll on April, I’m looking forward to getting it back out on the road

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
A job from yesterday, but after getting several fault codes on the dash and the reader saying low voltage was the cause and an abs sensor, I replaced the battery and an abs sensor on the Audi. Sad fact, but having owned it 9months, I only discovered that the boot floor can be turned over to create a tray, not that I’ll ever use it like that with the dog and boot liner.