1986 VW Polo Coupe S.. (Project)

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Bit of a late update,Good & Bad!!
Got the wing on last week and just had the new stripes fitted today which i think are the coolest thing EVER lol..
20160401_160755.jpg

Now the annoying part!!! Not getting bonnet & roof painted until end of April which i can live with.
But when i was ordering a new V5 form i got talking to a sound fella in the DVA and he said if i sent in a letter explaining the polo is a "classic car" that i could get an age related 1986 N.I plate!
Thought happy days so sent all the info off and ofcourse it was my luck that whoever got the letter didnt have a clue what i meant and sent me out a 2016 BGZ plate :mad::mad::mad:
So been trying to sort that all week but everytime i got a clown on the phone so finally got a name to send all the info to AGAIN next week! Not confident itll get sorted so will just buy a reg for it!
Going to tax it in the morning and if you see the Coupe please excuse the new reg!!!

Bring back Coleraine DVA!!!!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Melters they are man, damn civil servants:p
Can you buy an 80's plate for cheap?

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Melters they are man, damn civil servants:p
Can you buy an 80's plate for cheap?
Yes a retro plate isnt too dear but just so annoyed with all this messing about as id have kept it on its uk plate if i knew the dva would give me a 2016 number!! Dont like old cars with a new reg on!
Trying to get my dads plate :p but he is having none of it!!!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Small update, i wanted to get abit of stitching sorted on the two front seats so got in contact with Autotrim N.I and dropped them off yesterday to be repaired and picking them up next week!

Next up was the rear badges,they were looking abit rough so decided to freshen up up.
Rubbed them down and painted them and im happy as i think they came up pretty good!
I will replace the VW and Volkswagen badges at some stage but theyre about £60 :sob:
Only problem is i cant source the Polo Coupe badge anywhere so itll be staying for good lol..
Here is a before photo
20160414_223613.jpg

And here they are finished (y)
20160414_235036.jpg

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Good job on the badges lad, what technique did u use

Man i just bought a rattle can of chrome paint and a very fine paint brush.
Just washed the badges before hand and took my time to paint them so it was as tidy as possible!
Im actually surprised at home good the colour match came out so im well happy!!

If you want to give the Pug a go il give you the paint & brush (y)

j44nty

RMS Regular
Small update, i wanted to get abit of stitching sorted on the two front seats so got in contact with Autotrim N.I and dropped them off yesterday to be repaired and picking them up next week!

Next up was the rear badges,they were looking abit rough so decided to freshen up up.
Rubbed them down and painted them and im happy as i think they came up pretty good!
I will replace the VW and Volkswagen badges at some stage but theyre about £60 :sob:
Only problem is i cant source the Polo Coupe badge anywhere so itll be staying for good lol..
Here is a before photo
View attachment 111357
And here they are finished (y)
View attachment 111358
Don't see how you could of refurbed those badges any better. They look perfect to me. There was a thread once upon a time ago that a guy was reproducing badges I'm sure someone could find a link to it.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Good tidy edges, I thought u had masked them all off and cut with a scalpel or something! The badges on the pug are still in good condition and I was able to get a replacement boot badge for £12

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Don't see how you could of refurbed those badges any better. They look perfect to me. There was a thread once upon a time ago that a guy was reproducing badges I'm sure someone could find a link to it.

Aww yea im well happy with the badges , i actually didnt think they would come out as good as they did!
I will replace them at some stage as the VW badge has a small mark in it!
I like to have a go at refurbing things as theres nothing lost giving it a try!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Good tidy edges, I thought u had masked them all off and cut with a scalpel or something! The badges on the pug are still in good condition and I was able to get a replacement boot badge for £12

Hows the pug coming along now? Hopefully not long until your cruising about in it!!
I love wee touches like new badges or mudflaps, theyre the things that finish a car off!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Car is looking well Dominic. The stripe really

Cheers @natogreen16v
I always had a feeling the car should have had a red and black stripe on it and not black & silver but everywhere i looked it was only showing black & silver,even in the brochure i bought.
But then last night i happen to find this photo from the VW Museum in Germany!!
Will get the stripes changed in next few weeks as i love the red as it matches the front grille.
20160416_113527.png

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Ordered a wee dash cam to fit to the coupe for the summer drives/shows coming up and think they are a good thing to have in a car anyway after watching a TV show about them.

Also had the dent fella out today and he repaired the passenger door to perfection!

Front seats will be ready on friday so will get them picked up and give the car a good clean over the weekend as i would like to head up to the TSCC on sunday morning, although i might be on my own so will maybe bring our pup along for company on the drive lol.

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Seeing as i refurbed the rear badges i was looking to sort the front VW badge aswell as i had only gave it a quick coat of paint when i first got the car.
Luckily i was able to still order a brand new Genuine black front grille badge.
20160418_185511.png

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Another arrival, a shiney brand new genuine fuel pump :laughing:
20160419_204817.png

Getting the car prepared for the Northern Retro drive up to Malin Head in Donegal on the 30th (y)

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Northern retro drive . More info required lol ???

Theres the basic plan in the link below but there is a facebook page with more detail.
I am not on FB so my friend is sorting it all out altho its just a £5 for food at the BBQ!

Meet up at ballycastle then take the coast road and end up in Malin Head!
Should be good as te photos from previous Years looked cool.
Heres the link-
The Great Northern Retros Run To Malin

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
So got the car back on thursday after getting the bonnet painted.

I seen that the RSOC N.I were having their show so i got the car built up and headed down for a nosey this morning as i used to own a mk2 RS2000 and still abit fan.
20160521_151814.jpg
20160521_152041_001.jpg

Great bunch of lads there today.
Now there wasnt too many non-Ford cars there (maybe a handful if even) but i was over the moon to get a little trophy.
20160521_155257.jpg

Looking forward to getting the rest of the wee bits touched up and get ready for the next show.
Really want to get a nice period number plate next!

domo gti

RMS Regular
OP
domo gti
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Got the Polo out of the garage yesterday to give it another clean as did about 150mile in it this last week.
Ended up giving it two coats of polish and a coat of wax.
Happy with how it turned out!
20160529_211253.jpg

20160529_211353.jpg

20160529_211446.jpg

Hopefully take it to Portrush on Saturday for the Ford show and then Kilbroney show on 18th June.