2003 Honda Integra Type-R DC5 [Mini Restoration]

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
Loving the geekiness of finding out the car's jap history. I would love to know the old JDM plate for mine, but not sure if it's possible now.

Edit: Your car list looks like what my garage would look like in Gran Turismo 5. :joy:

Last edited:

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
Loving the geekiness of finding out the car's jap history. I would love to know the old JDM plate for mine, but not sure if it's possible now.

Edit: Your car list looks like what my garage would look like in Gran Turismo 5. :joy:

Haha, yes same as my Gran Turismo garage growing up. I just made it a challenge to own all the ones I could realistically afford at least once. You can keep your big Porsche/Lambo stuff I genuinely don't lust over them. Only thing I really missed the boat on was an R34 GTR. They are just too far away now money wise! Would love a Bayside Blue one completely standard.

I just had a wee look at your build thread. Looks like a nice car, anything else done to it since you last updated?

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
"Build thread" is being generous. 😂

More like a fettling thread. I wasn't well for most of last year, which prevented me from driving it for a while (all good now though).

I still have to fit the refurbished rocker cover, and my wife got me a new reg for my birthday which I need to get plates made up for. Nothing overly exciting, just trying to bring it back to as original as possible. It's sorned at the moment but looking forward to getting it back on the road around April time.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
So I got my form today from DVLA, will get this sent off this weekend. :grinning:

IMG_1401.jpg

Also got my stuff from Tegiwa already, great service!

IMG_1409.jpg

Another small spend today £35 on a brand new K&N Filter to replace the knackered one. The plan was to replace this and clean the induction kit, but I ended up going a bit overboard.

IMG_1410.jpg

So whipped it off the car, filter had definatlely seen better days. The replacement I bought is as close as possible to the same size but a better quality K&N item.

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

So, I just couldn't leave it, with some bits of the pipe being rubbed through and some bits scabby looking I deciced to rub it down and paint it a nice Matt Black.

Found out during this process that it was grey underneath, as I suspected it is actually an AEM V2 Induction kit. It just clicked when I revealed the old colour as I bought one a few years ago new, so that's nice to know.

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

Then a few quick coats of Matt Black (hides all manner of sins and will look nice and smart in the engine bay when refitted) and set the filter beside it to see what it looks like, still in the packet but you get the idea lol. Nice, happy with the first mini job done! Will get it refitted when it fully dries. Might see if I can change blue silicon pipe from blue to black or red to match, blue is a bit random.

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
Haven't had a chance to update this in while, some steady progress being made. Well, I say steady... the whole interior is out of the car, carpets seats... the lot!

IMG_1586.jpg

The reason behind this was to fully dry the car out and trace the leak properly. As suspected, the leak is coming through the top of the windscreen. So I started pulling trim off at the top and some butcher has put a load of sealent etc to try and 'fix' it previously. I'm currently in the process of removing and tidying this the best I can. Then I'll contact a Windscreen Repair Company... hopefully not have to wait too long for the screen!

In the meantime, with everything out of the car, it gave us a chance to fit the bush and spring to the gear selector. Obviously with no interior I do a test drive - but after fitting and moving the gearstick I noticed an immediate difference, the sloppy feeling gone and night and "tight" again.

Refitted the induction kit. Need to remove and repaint the battery tie, but otherwise the enigne bay isn't too bad for a driver. Cam cover being the most obvious thing needing done. I'm not fully happy with the induction kit how it fits with the angle of the RBC etc, so I'm tempted to go down the route of my old cars and buy a used Gruppe-M. They are just so expensive, even second hand. Currently making an offer on an eBay one, so we'll see!

IMG_1461.jpg

I did however buy a 4-2-1 Manifold. Speciafally a Tegiwa one. These are virtually the same design as the Toda ones I went for on a few of my older cars. They are currently £500 new but managed to buy one off an owners club for £280. Now, what attracted me in this case was (if you remember back) I need to replace the sensors as one (or both) are showing as faulty... and they are a fortune. The seller claims these are included and did now throw up any Engine lights. So, hopefully that's the case and I get a nice manifold for not much more than what the sensors would have cost to replace anyway! Here's hoping! If they don't I paid via Paypal and the seller said he will standover the fact they work. Worth a gamble, it should be here this week. Here is a few photos he sent of the manifold:

1.JPG
2.JPG

Another small thing that always annoys me on these, if it's not right, are the centre caps. I'm not that fussy that they have to be genuine, but the ones on it were so obviously not right it looks crap. These are non-genuine ones I purchased, but are an exact replica and the correct logo etc.

IMG_1720.jpg

After:

IMG_1721.jpg

Finally, for whenever the car is fully registered I bought a plate totally on a whim. I have WKZ12 for years and WKZ17 on my wife’s car... I wanted another WKZ but even three digits were £400 and 2 digits mad money.

So I decided to go down a different route. I’ve always liked the old dateless mainland ones (with numbers first) just think they are so rare and unusual looking. Plus the way it looks on jap plates satisfies my OCD lol. 200 YXT.

7936E00F-86CD-4418-9BEE-456DF2200C4C.jpeg

So as it sits now. Note the mess around the windscreen (missing trim and old sealant etc) which I’ll be cleaning up and rubbing down before the new screen is fitted.

84153BAC-C6C6-46D8-A50E-EF946DB7178C.jpeg

Still a good bit to do, in the corner of the photo you’ll notice boxes of some parts I had left over from old DC5, including a pretty good set of headlights should these fail to buff up nicely I’ll throw them on instead. :grinning:

Oh, and to keep this up-to-date:

DateItemFromCost
12/02/2020Exedy OEM Clutch KitTegiwa£126.00
12/02/2020OEM Honda MTF3 Gearbox OilTegiwa£26.40
12/02/2020Honda PSF-S Power Steering Fluid 2LTegiwa£33.00
12/02/2020Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W40 Oil 5LTegiwa£51.00
12/02/2020OEM Honda Oil FilterTegiwa£6.00
12/02/2020OEM Honda Front Brake DiscsTegiwa£132.28
12/02/2020K-Tuned Shifter Pivot Ball & SpringTegiwa£32.90
12/02/2020Brembo Front PadsHoldcroft Honda£54.06
03/03/2020New Centre CapsPerformance Tweakz£19.95
07/03/2020Tegiwa Manifold & Sensors (Used)ITR-DC5£280.00

Last edited:

michelinman

RMS Regular
Drives
e46
Keep the good work up! Looks like you are getting there :grinning:

I think I remember you taking a photo of one of my cars at a show somewhere, with a WKZ12 watermark?

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I often wondered what would happen if I ever get a crack on the windscreen and how easy it would be to replace. I assume you are just getting a windscreen place to reseat the original screen, yes?

I did something similar with my centre caps as well. My logos were flaking quite badly so I got some decals from a guy on ebay (actually a few different guys and picked the closest to the originals) and then when the wheels were away being refurbed, got them to lacquer the caps after putting the decals on.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
Keep the good work up! Looks like you are getting there :grinning:

I think I remember you taking a photo of one of my cars at a show somewhere, with a WKZ12 watermark?

Wow that was a long time ago, haha! I wonder what car it was?

I often wondered what would happen if I ever get a crack on the windscreen and how easy it would be to replace. I assume you are just getting a windscreen place to reseat the original screen, yes?

I did something similar with my centre caps as well. My logos were flaking quite badly so I got some decals from a guy on ebay (actually a few different guys and picked the closest to the originals) and then when the wheels were away being refurbed, got them to lacquer the caps after putting the decals on.

I'm not sure, I might just get a new screen. I'll see what they recommend.

Yeah, the centre caps need to be as close to OEM as possible the horrible ones on it before just cheapen the car. Such a small thing, but a big difference it makes IMO!

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
Would definitely get a gruppe m or the tegiwa copy. That filter in it now would suffer badly with heat soak

Oh I know, done it so many times before on my older ones. But they were much cleaner cars and worth the spend. I was trying to keep the money spend sensible on this. Oh well, it was never going to last! Haha! Few on eBay at the moment I'm in contact with the sellers over (Gruppe-M).

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
Yeah lol, it took me half an hour to find it in my archives - but your post about your plate rang a distant bell! Here it is from 2012 :grinning:

Haha, that is awesome! I remember that meet. I have a ropey enough photo of big Pete at the same one and him cleaning a black Vectra lol.

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Oh I know, done it so many times before on my older ones. But they were much cleaner cars and worth the spend. I was trying to keep the money spend sensible on this. Oh well, it was never going to last! Haha! Few on eBay at the moment I'm in contact with the sellers over (Gruppe-M).
Go with the tegiwa version, it’s the exact same just not the £ of gruppe m

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
So I’ll now get a chance to do this much faster as a result of the lockdown. Going to get stuck into it from tomorrow onwards.

In the meantime I’ve sold the 200 YXT plate to a fellow RMSer. Because... a far better (for me) plate came up. WKZ 18. So I now have the below for the fleet:

A2026B23-75EE-40B8-AE5F-72980AAB5020.jpeg

14DF39B3-5414-47AC-BF46-48F195775DE5.jpeg

F826A925-13D0-4F6B-9085-430EEBAF52C3.jpeg

Anyway, sorry for the boring update, normal service will resume soon lol.

Modmedia

RMS Regular
OP
Modmedia
Drives
Tesla M3P
Well, hope everyone isn't going too insane with the current situation. I'm currently stalled due to needing to sort the windscreen and with being in this lockdown... I've moved on to a few other little jobs to keep me entertained.

Gave the rear end of the car a bit of attention (having already done everything else but the roof): I removed all the old number plate adhesives; gave all panels and spoiler a run over with the DA and a quick coating of Chemical Guys Hydrocharge, all in all brining a nice gloss to everything.

IMG_2136.jpg

While I was there I gave the exhaust a quick going over, but I will need to spend a few hours to get it looking even better, but for 10 minutes work it already looks 100 times better. Note the Twinloop design where it actually passes through the rear siliencer twice.

Before:

IMG_2131.jpg

After:

IMG_2149.jpg

Like I say, not perfect but much better for now!

There are, for sure, more free flowing exhausts, but this is more liveable with (especially considering the manifold will increase noise as well) - plus Mugen stuff on a Honda is just right! A quick diagram from Mugen on how it works, for those interested!

mugen.png

Finally (and surpisringly quick I thought) it is fully UK Registered and road legal. The DVLA sent me the letter and V5 below, they have allocated RRZ4973, not that it'll matter as WKZ18 will be going on it as soon as I get the certificate. Nice to see it properly on as Honda Integra R, a lot of the cars registered I've had over the years have just said Honda "Blank" - I picked the PLG Category so tax costs at the moment for 6 months was £145.75 and the First Reg Fee for £55. So that's that bit all sorted!

tax.png