Alloy Wheel Refurb?

Jason

RMS Regular
I can only say good thing about James @ Cobra Customs, he's been doing my wheels for approx 4 years now and offers some of the best customer service i've seen. No issues at all with over 100 sets of wheels done.

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Nothing back yet, but I did tell him I was in no rush

No worries. I’m in no rush either and had been in contact with him with a view to leaving them with him tomorrow. Will leave them up anyway as the price is unbeatable and have heard nothing but good reports.

colin84

RMS Regular
So I'm updating with some pictures. The wheels were left to polished alloys in a real mess, flaking paint and the original finish corroded underneath.
Screenshot_20190119-133236_Gallery.jpg

Micheal kept me updated with pictures throughout .
IMG-20190117-WA0001.jpg

One of the wheels had been sanded with a grinder.
IMG-20190117-WA0004.jpg

All removed on a lathe.
IMG-20190117-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Thought you were getting them done in diamond cut again when I saw it on the lathe.

colin84

RMS Regular
Thought you were getting them done in diamond cut again when I saw it on the lathe.

I know the ST wheels look best Diamond cut, but the car will be used daily and I just wanted something that would last longer. The lathe was to remove the corrosion and damage.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I know the ST wheels look best Diamond cut, but the car will be used daily and I just wanted something that would last longer. The lathe was to remove the corrosion and damage.

What colour did you get?

I want my M3 diamond cut painted but want a paint which is sort of close in terms of colour.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
So I'm looking a set of 18's done. Called polished alloys and he quoted me £240. I'm going back to IC Powdercoaters for £180. Considerably better job to.

I remember when polished alloys used to be £140 a set.

colin84

RMS Regular
So I'm looking a set of 18's done. Called polished alloys and he quoted me £240. I'm going back to IC Powdercoaters for £180. Considerably better job to.

I was surprised myself the first time when I seen how much the price had went up, but at that time it was mostly Micheal on his own. When I mentioned it to him he brought me in to show the equipment he had bought. Serious money invested in his place now, not to mention extra staff to pay. It has really improved standard of his wheels now.

Powdercoating for £180 is a good price. Only thing is, powdercoating silver can never look as good as painted silver.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
I was surprised myself the first time when I seen how much the price had went up, but at that time it was mostly Micheal on his own. When I mentioned it to him he brought me in to show the equipment he had bought. Serious money invested in his place now, not to mention extra staff to pay. It has really improved standard of his wheels now.

Powdercoating for £180 is a good price. Only thing is, powdercoating silver can never look as good as painted silver.
Iv my parallels powder coated, can’t wait to get them off and up to Michael to be polished, although Iv ten Nova wheels to go up aswell so I may get saving :p

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5

Well to be fair I wouldn't be powdercoating silver. Last ones they did for me where titanium grey with Matt lacquer. I'm going anthracite this time.

For silver paint is the only way.

colin84

RMS Regular
Iv my parallels powder coated, can’t wait to get them off and up to Michael to be polished, although Iv ten Nova wheels to go up aswell so I may get saving :p

The full polished finish can be hard enough to keep. My parallels diamond cut finish were a mess, so I got Micheal to paint the centres silver and polish the dish. They came up well.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
The full polished finish can be hard enough to keep. My parallels diamond cut finish were a mess, so I got Micheal to paint the centres silver and polish the dish. They came up well.
Yeah thinking some sort of combo like that myself chum

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S

I got a recent quote from Polished Alloys, simple colour change on a new set of wheels. Quote was £260 plus VAT. To put that in perspective I also contacted Nu Luk who quoted me £300 plus VAT. All I remember hearing is how Polished Alloys are so cheap and Nu Luk so expensive lol. No doubt Michael has heavily invested but like you I remember paying around £140 a set - long gone are those days!