Cheap 7 Seat 4x4

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
wasn't the commercial badged a challenger? I remember NIE used to have a fleet of them complete with winches etc

Seems to still be a model in some markets

bc0c0dda32a80fe6dd8fbda4ea2dae31.jpg

johnm

RMS Regular
I vote for a soft roading overlanding donegal rms camping trip next spring. Whos in. Lets make it a thing come march or so set a date and go.

I'd be game for that, back seats folded down and airbed in the back of it! lol.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I'd be game for that, back seats folded down and airbed in the back of it! lol.

My kinda thinking. I’ve a great tent here that I bought off @brocks a few months ago, but if it was just me and the woman I’d be happy roughing it in the back of the Shogun. Don’t worry, the back windows are all tinted limo black :joy:

But anyway, back to finding @Lyons a cheap 4x4...

Is England/Scotland a possibility as there’s some decent motors over there around Glasgow and north England within budget?

983D08CE-4BBD-488C-A04F-8B8997CA0FEB.png

327A4A53-14B4-4327-ABF7-1053AD1B7AA9.png

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I thought Disco’s were rotten/scrap too?

Oh aye, Mainland is definitely a possibility. I fly into Bristol and out of Liverpool, so anywhere around the West of England / Wales is an option.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Why the f*ck do I find myself looking for a Freelander/Rav4 or worse, ANOTHER CR-V when people open threads like this?

Incidentally, I'll be looking to get rid of a c4 picasso with 135k. Cosmetically sh*t, engine has a DPF light on but it's driving fine. Was wifes car, she's cut the feck out of the wheels. Also now looking for another soft roader, 7 seater not out of the question but not required. Thanks @Lyons .......

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I thought Disco’s were rotten/scrap too?

Oh aye, Mainland is definitely a possibility. I fly into Bristol and out of Liverpool, so anywhere around the West of England / Wales is an option.

Disco’s can be hit and miss. A good 1 is well worth buying as they’ll hold their money well if they’re looked after, and they’re as cheap as you’ll get for parts and stuff. Back of the chassis from the rear axle back, rear arches including the door shuts and the outriggers/body mounts would be the common areas, all which are easily inspected. If 1 came up close by, it’d be worth a look.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
That XC90 would be a decent shout, the Euro 3 engine in that will do absolute spaceship miles, 5 speed gearbag can be problematic.

Same 4x4 system as some land rover, VW, Audi etc (Haldex) so easy to get parts for and keep on top of. That year one will be the earlier Haldex model, the face lift/ Euro 4/5 has a later model which is slightly better (Allows less slip, hardier angle gear). Reasonable ground clearance too - you can also let the kids and a pet dog loose in the interior for 3 hours and it will take the abuse without bits being snapped off.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Disco’s can be hit and miss. A good 1 is well worth buying as they’ll hold their money well if they’re looked after, and they’re as cheap as you’ll get for parts and stuff. Back of the chassis from the rear axle back, rear arches including the door shuts and the outriggers/body mounts would be the common areas, all which are easily inspected. If 1 came up close by, it’d be worth a look.
Add the boot floor to that list...water leaks in through the alpine windows and runs down to the boot floor

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Cheers Coog. I hadn't got that far as I usually only check the MOT history when I've narrowed it down to a genuine contender.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I've a habit of checking everything I spot with an English reg on it on an app I found. Just adds another level of nerding to the car enthusiast game

D49D9EDD-B2F4-4732-A88A-B3B39B7A04BD.jpeg

RMS, MOT & tax checker, AirTricity for the electric for the house and then the MOT history checker are my 4 main sites :oops:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Advisories on the rear chassis corroding on that at the last MOT:

Could be surface rust, or it could be an eggshell waiting to fall to bits.

If budget would allow, that would be a very high contender IMO. I’d want detailed pics of the under side before making the trip though.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Can't see many folk dealing with it if only an advisory. Does look class though, I've a lot of love for a Disco 2.

I've a habit of checking everything I spot with an English reg on it on an app I found. Just adds another level of nerding to the car enthusiast game

I actually downloaded that app after you shared it previously, must check it out.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Anything else to watch out for on them? Gearbox ok? They have replaced my Shogun saved search.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
The TD5 engine suffered from oil leaking up the ECU wiring harness. TBH if its got this far in life its either never going to happen or the harness seal has already been replaced.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
The TD5 engine suffered from oil leaking up the ECU wiring harness. TBH if its got this far in life its either never going to happen or the harness seal has already been replaced.

I thought the TD5 was the bulletproof one?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.