Cheap 7 Seat 4x4

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
To be fair, it’s not really a Land Rover if it doesn’t leave a puddle of every fluid it has at every location it’s parked for more than 10 mins. I knew there was auto gearbox fluid and engine oil in mine just by looking under it (y)
helps keep the fluids fresh...

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I don't know how you lads can be bothered with these cheap offroaders, would put your head away!

CHARLIE11

RMS Regular
Drives
like a nutta
I've a habit of checking everything I spot with an English reg on it on an app I found. Just adds another level of nerding to the car enthusiast game

sorry but whats the app??

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I don't know how you lads can be bothered with these cheap offroaders, would put your head away!

Yep. Hard to beat the Jimny in fairness. Takes ridiculous amounts of abuse and it's only ever broken a transfer box mount in 5 years. All the other 4x4's have taken some serious TLC.

Useless for what you need though (although apparently someone did tow a MX5 on a full size transporter trailer with one once)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The full size 4x4's with the 3.5T towing capacities are always going to command more than the smaller SUV type machines. They're much more useful. £ for £ you'll get a much better CRV/Rav4 than Disco/Shogun. I'd stick to the CRV personally or look at a petrol Grand Vitara or maybe even a Kia Sorento. CX7 is also an interesting choice with the 2.3T petrol engine. They can have their niggles too but would be quite good fun for a 4x4.

Dusty

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda CR-V
Aye, for my first one. You lot have had hundreds!

My CR-V has given me very little bother, niggles more than anything. Park sensor needing replaced, one engine mount bracket. I don't have a service history for it but I've had it serviced every year or less, transmission fluid changed at proper intervals and she sails through every MOT without so much as an advisory.

It's capable in the snow, or across a field but I wouldn't want to be rock crawling or whatever in it. I did once drive through a quarry with water deep enough to set the park sensors off all round......

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

If it’s not you’re first car, it’s all good fun. It’s when the only vehicle you have is a fusty 4x4 that pulls 1 of the rear arms clean off the chassis due to mild corrosion and leaves you limping it home with a ratchet strap holding the rear axle in place and your testicles in your throat that it gets really interesting... :p

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Rx hybrid then. V8 performance, Lexus reliability and derv 4x4 mpg.

When you say “derv 4x4 MPG” are we talking Freelander or Land Cruiser, because there’s about 15-20mpg of difference between them on average...?

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If it’s not you’re first car, it’s all good fun. It’s when the only vehicle you have is a fusty 4x4 that pulls 1 of the rear arms clean off the chassis due to mild corrosion and leaves you limping it home with a ratchet strap holding the rear axle in place and your testicles in your throat that it gets really interesting... :p

You love all that sort of stuff :laughing:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
helps keep the fluids fresh...

Certainly. They can be nothing but fresh when they being topped up every week... lol

Useless for what you need though (although apparently someone did tow a MX5 on a full size transporter trailer with one once)

I just bought a diesel bellhousing this morning to get this yellow Vitara done before I throw the head up again. When that happens, it’ll be hauling the rib around the place for sh¡ts and giggles... :laughing:

You love all that sort of stuff :laughing:

You’ve got me there. I kinda do... lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D

Aye, see I have a warranty on the A7 and Golf so that’s only why I’m considering something which could potentially give me headaches.

Would be a lot easier if I was fit to do some work myself though.

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
You need a 4.2 EFI GQ Patrol with 34k...

1C297743-3B8B-478D-B24A-7F7695FA9820.jpeg

Last edited:

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Aye, see I have a warranty on the A7 and Golf so that’s only why I’m considering something which could potentially give me headaches.

Yes, your life is running too smoothly and you have too little to be concerned about at the minute.

Go nuts and buy a late 80’s/early 90’s Land Rover Defender or a 2.5 Shogun and fill your life with sorrow, misery, depression, anxiety, financial instability and a new found love of swear words that would make Ozzy Osbourne blush while crying dramatically in glee at the 6 miles/2 journeys a year you get to complete in your newly acquired, driveway staining, earth polluting 4x4... :laughing:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.