F1 2018 : All Chat Here

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

sam_9n

RMS Regular
Verstappen has been given 2 days community service by the FIA lol.

I see what Hamilton meant about Ocon having nothing to lose but I’m sure Hamilton wouldn’t be happy either, doubtful he’d do a Verstappen after the race though.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I think if I was Ocon I'd have done the same thing.
Coming out of the pits on fresh tyres, you would be thinking you have to make the most of the tyre while you can. So your flying round and you catch up with the race leader who is a lap ahead but who is in tyre saving mode and going slowly. What do you do?
You pull up beside him and make it clear that you are trying to pass. You think he should know you have been taking 0.5 sec a lap out of him and you aren't fighting for position so why hold you up. But no, he would prefer to run you off the road rather than let a car that is no threat pass.

Vettel let Raikkonen past when he had a tyre advantage, no need to take it as a personal insult. Definitely no need to lose a race because of it.

Laying hands on someone is not acceptable in professional sport, especially in full view of the cameras. I'd have given him a race ban.

pablo

RMS Moderator
to be fair Max had the corner and the line and was in front. What Ocon did was throw it up the inside and hope Max yielded. Good luck with that.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Was an interesting one that.

Ultimately Occon shoudn't have tried to pass the race leader unless actually let through. He won't get a job with RB any time soon :joy:

But likewise there was no reason for Max to "fight" over a non-existent position when leading the race and with everything to lose. Just leave Occon room and then pass under blues at the next corner. Would have been annoying, yes, but he was not under threat from anyone.

It looked really bad at first but really a "racing incident" that could have been avoided by either driver. Lewis was spot on after the race.

Certainly no reason to go starting fist fights or to sulk on the podium.

Still a real shame for Max, he did run a perfect race and deserved the win.

Lewis managed to salvage a bad weekend, just look at where Bottas finished.

Brilliant drives by Kimi and Riciardo again as well, by far the two most agreeable drivers at the top of the grid :cool:

pablo

RMS Moderator
faster means you are in the lead at the corner. Ocon was behind. Not sure what else there is to it?

He is 1/2 car length ahead

_104271875_max_ocon_2_getty.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I guess the point isn't technically right or wrong, that goes any which way. And Occon got the toughest penalty short of disqualification so it's not like he got away with anything.

The point is it was a fight Max didn't have to pick.

He and Occon go way back, this was more about Max deciding to keep Occon behind just because.

And it cost him the race, with no upside for him.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
faster means you are in the lead at the corner. Ocon was behind. Not sure what else there is to it?

He is 1/2 car length ahead

_104271875_max_ocon_2_getty.jpg

In car camera from Occon shows he hadn't really anywhere to go, he was along side a few tenths before. For sure Maxs agressiveness makes him a good racer that grinds out results others wouldnt but he will have to learn to play the percentage game if he wants a world championship. This year has showed up his lack of maturity though still one of the best to watch on a race by race basis.

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Max just didn’t expect him (a lapped car) to be on the apex of turn 2 and turned in for the racing line and the collision happened. Ocon I think should’ve give it up well before then, backmarkers need to respect the leader.

Gambit

RMS Regular
must be a Verstappen thing :p though the boot was on the other foot back in 2001 with his da & montoya at interlagos

tbh i think Hamilton was bang on when he said ocon had nothing to lose so why put yourself in that position

PaulYDP

RMS Regular
Drives
R1 Turbo
1/4 length there, 1/2 length when they actually get to the corner :p

But who has the inside line and who then decided to hit the apex and not leave a car's width like they should do!?? Sorry but had this have been first vs second then Max was at fault so I don't see the difference when it's a backmarker that is lapping .5 seconds a lap faster at that point of the race. Ocon would have drove away from Max's current pace for a few laps before his tyres went off, then Max would have caught him and went passed with no drama. His problem was he couldn't have Ocon unlapping himself - he cost himself the race and he'll learn from it.

I enjoy what he brings to F1 and at least he gives talking points, he has some growing up to do though.

pablo

RMS Moderator
Look at the pass someone (ricciardo?) made on bottas in the same place. Bottas conceded the corner and did the opposite of what Ocon did. The car in Max’s position has the corner and the lead imo. Chucking the sausage up the inside and being half a car length behind does not entitle you to the corner.

All said and done though it’s great entertainment. I’d rather have a bit of spice in the paddock than PR dept approved statements.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Plenty of arguement both ways whether Occon should have been there or not, he has the right to unlap himself but more sporting not to interfere with lead car.
All irrelevant though, the fact was he was there and may or may not have yielded the corner and Max should have taken that into consideration since he was in lead and under no immediate pressure. Kimi or Hamilton in same position would have left space and still won.

This hindsight armchair racing punditry is easy :laughing:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.