F1 2021

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Mercedes weren't a front row team when Lewis joined them. They finished 5th in the constructors in 2012. Many, including myself thought at the time leaving McLaren and joining Merc was a big mistake but he made it work.

Tbf that was all schumi/brawn/laudas foundations and merc working on the new hybrid era 2/3 years in advance. Great driver arriving at the best time and rest is history as they say

stevyg

RMS Regular
A normally boring race was actually really good and that was before the rain even started. Hamilton was being awfully conservative at the start when everyone around him was going kamikaze. They need to sort out the return to track, Alonso was 7th, went off track returned the correct way and was 3rd.
Lol'd at Lewis stuck behind Ricciardo coming on the radio saying my tyres are graining lets prepare to undercut him, so McLaren brought in Dan to protect that and Hamilton stayed out banging out fastest lap after fastest lap. What a playa.
Absolutely gutted for Norris, it was going to be an intense last few laps regardless of the weather. But he has to take that blame on his own chin for choosing to stay out when the team was telling him everyone else was in for Inters. I don't see how he got driver of the day, almost a lap ahead of 3rd place then going from 1st to 7th in 3 laps. The team should have been more forceful too but Lando was going to drive until he couldn't anymore. He made a mistake at Spa a few weeks ago trying to be brave in the wet during qualifying when everyone else was waiting in the pits and he ended up in the barrier. I think he has many wins ahead of him so chalk it up to a learning experience and try again but massively disappointed for him he was doing everything right until the rain started.

Max & Bottas both had horrible drives and got very lucky at the end. Good early strategy call from RB to go to the Inters. Whats going on with their pit-stops? They've been terrible lately. Interesting Bottas saying that he had to get a new engine because the team said his Monza engine wouldn't have made it to the end of the race, they found some issues with it.

Phenomenal achievement 100 wins and still more to come. Mind blowing.

Really enjoyed the Schumacher documentary. Though there is a lot of room to document the seasons, it just jumped from 3 WDCs to 7. There wasn't any information about how he got injured or his current condition etc, I thought they would have used that as an opportunity to talk a little more about that. Still very much worth a watch.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The cynic in me thinks he had this planned. He did a test run at it on the drive to the grid.
Not cynical at all, he just went straight round. No effort at all to go the "correct" way. Had it all planned out.

Didn't break any rules so fair play. Obviously the rules/arrangements there need to be addressed. Never mind the stupid styrofoam "chicane" that never lasts beyond the first lap 😅

Whats going on with their pit-stops? They've been terrible lately.
The rules about not using automated pit stop systems were "clarified" recently to stop RB using automated pit stop systems anyway 🙈

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
The cynic in me thinks he had this planned. He did a test run at it on the drive to the grid.
Wise owl dog that he is probs knew exactly what he was doing, no point in going in there and risk getting wiped out just play by the rules and remove the risk haha

On the Norris staying out decision out I think the team is largely to blame, when he said stay out it wasn't too bad and it was probs the right call at that time, but Hamilton was told it was going to get worse which McLaren didn't tell Norris, actually couldn't believe how bad it got so quickly without really looking that heavy.

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
@Cartunes - looking well 🤪
IMG-20210904-WA0008.jpg

I have absolutely nothing in common with that fat dude in the jump suit! I've lost 4 stone since you last saw me buddy! 😋

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's all the car you know. And it's a Brawn, Merc did nothing, just took the Brawn.

Etc. :joy:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Merc took over where Brawn left off, just like Brawn took over where Honda left off, and Honda took over where BAR left off, and so on.

So what, lol?

There's not a single bolt on the 2021 Merc that has anything in common with the 2009 Brawn car.

Arguably the only teams on the grid that haven't picked up where someone else left off would be Ferrari and the pre-buyout Williams.

RB started off from Jaguar which went back to Stewart GP.

And so on.

stevyg

RMS Regular
Did everyone just miss that he joined 9 years ago? NINE! Where has the time gone? Seems like just a coupe of years ago.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.