MOT: Vehicle test centre closes over fault in car lifts

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I’d be keen to hear the outcome too! Lol The gov.ni website is as clear as mud. It says one thing and then contradicts itself later. If it doesn’t contradict itself then it leaves large loop holes which may be exploited.

And I’d question your theory on “a few months” November to April is what, 5, nearly 6 months depending on what date in November @purplea4T ’s car’s MOT expired. Sorry to use you again as an example buddy lol

edit: @Bryan also has said similar with his example being a car that’s test expired in December....
I suppose that it's not the owners fault that the car can't be tested, people put cars off the road for a number of reasons. I can safely say that after all mine has it'll walk any test!
Mine went without test as I wanted to put it back to OE, the painter had jobs on before it, then Christmas, then it was painted, easy for the months to slide by!
It was obvious that the tests weren't going ahead when I booked mine, just lucky it was sorted very quickly. I can't see any cars being tested this year.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Yea I’ve just had another look at the website. I think people are using the wrong word in the “E” part of TEC, as in they are saying extension.

It’s not an extension of the MOT certificate as many people seem to keep saying, rather it’s a Temporary Exemption Certificate.

So I guess that explains why any state of vehicle can be used on the road, but as someone said, it’s down to the driver to ensure it’s roadworthy - and the can of worms that that in itself will open! Lol
I suppose that it's not the owners fault that the car can't be tested, people put cars off the road for a number of reasons. I can safely say that after all mine has it'll walk any test!
Mine went without test as I wanted to put it back to OE, the painter had jobs on before it, then Christmas, then it was painted, easy for the months to slide by!
It was obvious that the tests weren't going ahead when I booked mine, just lucky it was sorted very quickly. I can't see any cars being tested this year.
Yea as I said earlier, I’ve seen your attention to detail and have no doubt that anything you put on the road would be safe.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Same here. For example, a guy is offering me a car which hasn’t been MOT’d since Feb 2019. He’s claiming that he has applied for an MOT today and has been given a three month “extension”.
In my mind that doesn’t make since as the car could literally be in any shape having been parked up for over a year, how can they apply a TEC to such a vehicle?

How can they stand over it if say the vehicle was involved in a crash due to being unsafe and unroadworthy by MOT standards?
I imagine there’s going to be an awful lot of grey areas if and when it comes to insurance claims in the event of accidents etc....

A regular car owners view of what’s safe can and does indeed differ from what an MOT centre says! I’m sure many an MoT tester can attest to that based on what they see presented to them as an owner deeming to be roadworthy!

Stand over what ?

It's the cars owner/driver who is responsible for ensuring it is roadworthy at all times. MOT doesnt mean diddly.
it’s down to the driver to ensure it’s roadworthy - and the can of worms that that in itself will open! Lol

Always has been, there is no can of worms.

RevT

RMS Regular
As stated, MOT is only worth the paper it’s written on as and when it’s sitting in the MOT centre, even then it’s questionable.

It’s the owner’s responsibility to have it roadworthy at all times.

DVA will have to provide anyone that applies for an MOT with the relevant extension. They cannot fulfil the test being completed as they cannot provide the testing facilities/staff meaning they must then issue you with an extension/exemption.

I’ve had a car just MOT’d for 6 months that hasn’t been MOT’d since 2018.

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
As stated, MOT is only worth the paper it’s written on as and when it’s sitting in the MOT centre, even then it’s questionable.

It’s the owner’s responsibility to have it roadworthy at all times.

DVA will have to provide anyone that applies for an MOT with the relevant extension. They cannot fulfil the test being completed as they cannot provide the testing facilities/staff meaning they must then issue you with an extension/exemption.

I’ve had a car just MOT’d for 6 months that hasn’t been MOT’d since 2018.
Wanna pass on some details as some of us poor sods aren’t getting anything

Dave..

RMS Regular
Does anyone have an email address I can use to try and get our 2 refunds, one from January.
Thanks.

SH4U11

RMS Regular
Drives
AudiA6
Everything that you guys are saying about being tested and being unroadworthy is what stood its ground in me being able to return a disco I bought in England this time last year.

Dealer was constantly crying about mot. But it was proven due to the ability of tracking the tests prior that he bodged the test and was still unroadworthy when it was sold to me.

RevT

RMS Regular
Wanna pass on some details as some of us poor sods aren’t getting anything

You’re bound to know an MOT man somewhere? lol

I contacted a couple, one contacted someone that works in their centre office, a few days later he had the car added on the NI system for me, I booked it within an hour for two days later and within 24 hours I had a 6 month extension.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
You’re bound to know an MOT man somewhere? lol

I contacted a couple, one contacted someone that works in their centre office, a few days later he had the car added on the NI system for me, I booked it within an hour for two days later and within 24 hours I had a 6 month extension.
Ah you didn’t make it clear you needed the help of an inside man 😂

RevT

RMS Regular
It’ll still work, I just got mine sorted quicker.

I’m going to book another car here too.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Suppose if you book it they are bound to have to do something when they’ve taken you money, either give an exception or refund you

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Won't be long now
20200422_141129.jpg

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
I want a plate off a car that's in bits.. Think i could get an mot exemption then place the plate on retention? :grinning:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I want a plate off a car that's in bits.. Think i could get an mot exemption then place the plate on retention? :grinning:

If it's been on continuous SORN etc and yours...you should be able to take the plate off anyway.

I took one off a car of mine that hadnt really been used for about 5 years a while back and put it on retention.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
So people here who have received the exemption letter, how difficult is it to tax a vehicle with these? Is it as simple as it was before?

looking real world experience, not friends of a friend.