New car suggestions

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
It’s an aftermarket warranty sold by Agnews franchises that is underwritten by a company called AutoProtect. It’s a fairly good warranty in fairness. I took one for my CLS at a cost of £600. Worth it in my eyes. However you must get the car serviced by Agnews in order for it to hold water.

Which again on a Golf R is no more than a 2.0 diesel really.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Average service cost from a main dealer ?

They’re all listed on the VW/Audi sites. £200 for minor £400 for major roughly.
350 is pretty cheap too.

It’s for nothing!! On a 300hp AWD performance hatch?! Complete no brainier to me! DSG mechatronics, haldex etc would all be more than that!

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I understand the concept.

Mel's current car has cost her £105 in "repairs" in the last 5.5years though.

That's not really comparing apples with apples though. Of course a brand new relatively cheap car is going to be cheap to maintain. Golf R's etc are in another league for complexity.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
I wouldn’t read the warranty bit as a case of “must buy for when things inevitably go wrong”, it’s more a case of for peace of mind and those prices are good.

If you’re buying from a dealer you’ll have a standard dealer warranty anyway, most dealers these days will offer an additional or third party warranty on top, some will let you pay it monthly too. A case of better looking at it than for it.

Servicing is a couple of hundred quid for a normal one.

I don’t think there are any scare stories with these, plenty of water pump leaks. That’s what drew me to them as they’re a known quantity.

If you’re looking at 20k cars then it’s just a wise investment to cover any potential problems for an extra 1-2% of the value per year. Same goes for any car of that value.

E4mon

RMS Regular
I extended the warranty on my Cupra as it turned 3 year old in May. Had to go back to get the water pump and thermostat done last week and they charged me £100 excess. Turns out the warranty is through another company (can't remember the name). It was a bit annoying as I thought it was just a continuation of the manufacturers warranty!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
That's not really comparing apples with apples though. Of course a brand new relatively cheap car is going to be cheap to maintain. Golf R's etc are in another league for complexity.
Yes but when deciding on changing car it is a big factor. This is the point of the thread. It's all very well people saying "Get a (whatever) its awesome and does xyz . . . .but get a warranty as if the xyz breaks , you're in trouble".
Or the way me and Mel see it , don't get one with xyz as we don't want the expense of annual warranty as well as having to get it serviced in a main dealer. Also why we're ruling out the Golf R or Rs3 etc.
Well I'm not saying no , it's just more for us to consider when deciding on what to buy.

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
I extended the warranty on my Cupra as it turned 3 year old in May. Had to go back to get the water pump and thermostat done last week and they charged me £100 excess. Turns out the warranty is through another company (can't remember the name). It was a bit annoying as I thought it was just a continuation of the manufacturers warranty!

Weird - was that an Agnews AutoProtect warranty one? Shouldn’t have had an excess...

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What about leasing something new?

Regardless of what you buy, there’s no way a circa 2015 car is going to serve you for 5 years with zero issues. If you aren’t happy to pay standard costs for maintenance then you need to be looking for something nearly new with plenty of warranty IMO.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Our mk3 Cupra was a good car too, but the wheel hop and traction issues in the wet would put me off another one, 300bhp is just too much for the front wheels, weirdly my mk2 Cupra got 340bhp down easier. Lovely looking thing though and the newer interior is a lot nicer than the mk2. I’d take a nice focus ST if it was me.

F9FD8C3E-39B3-4589-B9B0-24EB0B264213.jpeg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I understand the concept.

Mel's current car has cost her £105 in "repairs" in the last 5.5years though.

Let's be fair though....it isnt a VW group car. If it was it'd cost lot more lol a year...maybe a month.

German cars just arent what they once were in terms of cost/reliability etc

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Adam in 4 years my s4 never needed a single thing done to it bar service work and many ££££ on tuning parts .I hope the rs3 is the same or I’m gonna be broke as I don’t have a warranty on it yet .

Reactions: Mel

bmurf

RMS Regular
Drives
200sx
Without looking through 18 pages of suggestions, would a vrs Skoda be worthwhile looking at. My dad has the diesel version as a company car and it's a really nice place to be

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Go on then, what’s the latest?
Last I read someone suggested putting a super charger on the Adam to make it faster and to buy a trailer for the weekly shop.should do this as half the other suggestions are bloody daft .
Why’s hard to work out ,mid range performance ,petrol,estate .wtf are people posting diesel amg merc coupe,mk2 Rs focus bla bla bla.nuts.

• Haha
Reactions: Mel
Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.