S2000 Project

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Poly bushes do wear, but differently to how metalistic bushes do, don't think you'll ever need to replace any bushes that are just in compression but you may have to replace ones that have a twisting or sliding force on them.

Tim Long

RMS Regular
OP
Tim Long
Drives
Moonrock S2000
Do you not worry that it'll be very hard and possibly squeaky with poly bushes?
It'll definitely be harder but I know it should drive better.
Might make the hardtop squeak even more but I'll just have to live with it.
I'm sure I can make some adjustments to it. We will see how they turn out.

Tim Long

RMS Regular
OP
Tim Long
Drives
Moonrock S2000
Poly bushes do wear, but differently to how metalistic bushes do, don't think you'll ever need to replace any bushes that are just in compression but you may have to replace ones that have a twisting or sliding force on them.
Ahh ok. I'm sure they will be longer wearing then than the oem bushes. At least less'mushy'.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
While I was at it I placed an order for an entire set of energy suspension bushes to polybush the entire car.

Definitely polybushes for the suspension.

They have nothing to do with ride comfort or anything like that. Springs and dampers deal with that, not bushes. But they will tighten up any "slack" in wishbones, etc., just make the car feel tighter on the road.

Only drawback with polybushes for the suspension is a bit more roadnoise, as they will transmit more of that through the chassis than rubber bushes do. How much depends on what polybushes you went for ("softer" or "harder"). For a roadcar I would definitely go with "softer" polybushes - will still tighten up the car, without ruining it.

For roaduse, you are unlikely ever to have to replace any polybushes.

Squeaking - this is mostly down to how they are installed. Have polybushes for the suspension on all my cars, never had any issues with squeaks. As long as they are installed properly they will be fine. For example, make sure to only tighten wishbone and suspension bolts, etc., at ride height.

However!

The exact opposite is true for any engine/gearboxmount bushes! Leave them well alone, and stick to rubber bushes. At least if you value your teeth. If you polybush them, you will get vibrations like you would not believe. It will be unbearable. For pretty much zero benefit.

For a roadcar, especially a nice one like yours, definitely avoid polybushes for engine and gearbox mounts.

EF Ian

RMS Regular
Drives
EF & 260Z GT-R
Ahh ok. I'm sure they will be longer wearing then than the oem bushes. At least less'mushy'.
I'm sure they will last a very long time, just pointing out that they do wear and will need checked eventually, not quite fit and forget. Will be a lot less mushy than old soggy cracking oem bushes.

The exact opposite is true for any engine/gearboxmount bushes! Leave them well alone, and stick to rubber bushes. At least if you value your teeth. If you polybush them, you will get vibrations like you would not believe. It will be unbearable. For pretty much zero benefit.
My RB is mounted with polybushes and theres very little vibration, I guess its a nice smooth straight six though, I'm sure if I polybushed the B20 there would be a lot of vibration.

Tim Long

RMS Regular
OP
Tim Long
Drives
Moonrock S2000
Definitely polybushes for the suspension.

They have nothing to do with ride comfort or anything like that. Springs and dampers deal with that, not bushes. But they will tighten up any "slack" in wishbones, etc., just make the car feel tighter on the road.

Only drawback with polybushes for the suspension is a bit more roadnoise, as they will transmit more of that through the chassis than rubber bushes do. How much depends on what polybushes you went for ("softer" or "harder"). For a roadcar I would definitely go with "softer" polybushes - will still tighten up the car, without ruining it.

For roaduse, you are unlikely ever to have to replace any polybushes.

Squeaking - this is mostly down to how they are installed. Have polybushes for the suspension on all my cars, never had any issues with squeaks. As long as they are installed properly they will be fine. For example, make sure to only tighten wishbone and suspension bolts, etc., at ride height.

However!

For a roadcar, especially a nice one like yours, definitely avoid polybushes for engine and gearbox mounts.
Thanks for this. Very informative.

Tim Long

RMS Regular
OP
Tim Long
Drives
Moonrock S2000
I'm sure they will last a very long time, just pointing out that they do wear and will need checked eventually, not quite fit and forget. Will be a lot less mushy than old soggy cracking oem bushes.

Appreciate the info :grinning: I had just assumed wrong.

Tim Long

RMS Regular
OP
Tim Long
Drives
Moonrock S2000
I used a rubber grease and repositioned the latches on my s2000 to stop the hardtop squeaking. It was starting to drive me insane
Yeah I had greased all the seals with the shin etsu grease from Honda. For a couple of weeks there wasn't a sound from it then all a sudden it starts to creak and I couldn't get it to stop. I tightened side catches as tight as they could go which seemed to help but then I couldn't open the passenger door as the hard top came down to far.

It's off now for the summer and I'm glad as I don't know how much more squeaking I could take lol. I'll rethink it through when refitting. Maybe some washers will give a bit more clearance and allow me to tighten it down further.

Either that or does anyone know who could shave a few mm off my hardtop to give it more clearance??

Tim Long

RMS Regular
OP
Tim Long
Drives
Moonrock S2000
Can't wait to get these in

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429471103.146036.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429471119.312681.jpg

kyle.j1

RMS Regular
However!

I wouldn't necessarily say this is true, I installed some poly engine/gearbox mounts on my S3 and altho I will admit the first 1000 mile wasn't exact what I would call enjoyable to live with with rattles, first gear take off were rash and for the life of me cant understand I got some clutch slip which all faded away and went back to normal after my first trip which was to England and back.

Now I love them, gear changes on full throttle are smooth and quick inside of having to wait a split second to change gears and just made a massive improvement to driving the car, stop all the movement of the engine under acceleration to taking foot off the accelerator and car feels more balance and predictable, just really the same way polybushed suspension feels compared to standard VAG bushes

Tim Long

RMS Regular
OP
Tim Long
Drives
Moonrock S2000
Thanks for the info guys. Good to hear from those that have been there, done it.
Think I'll leave the engine/gear box mounts as is for now. The car rattles enough as is when the hardtop is on.

Still waiting for the polybush kit, but have finally ordered the seat rails

Paddy

RMS Regular
I need one of these in my life!

The GF hated them until I showed her the mighty car mods one on youtube and changed her mind! Once the summer is over I will def be attempting to snap one up

Tim Long

RMS Regular
OP
Tim Long
Drives
Moonrock S2000
I need one of these in my life!

The GF hated them until I showed her the mighty car mods one on youtube and changed her mind! Once the summer is over I will def be attempting to snap one up
Those videos were a good watch. Enjoyed them. You won't be disappointed in the S. Prefect summer car to ;)

Paddy

RMS Regular
I loved the videos. Id rather have a range of certain illnesses than own that front bumper of theres but the rest of it was awesome.

Going to Vegas in July for the UFC so sadly wont be able to get a car until afterwards, I assume they will be cheaper once the summer is over so might grab a bargain or a trade in.

Tim Long

RMS Regular
OP
Tim Long
Drives
Moonrock S2000
I loved the videos. Id rather have a range of certain illnesses than own that front bumper of theres but the rest of it was awesome.

Going to Vegas in July for the UFC so sadly wont be able to get a car until afterwards, I assume they will be cheaper once the summer is over so might grab a bargain or a trade in.
Yeah the bumper was hideous. I've my eye on a few and may look to pick one up on down the line but we'll see.

Vegas for the ufc. Wow! Jealous. I'd love to go.
Yeah prices have definitely went up now we are coming into summer. But hopefully you'll be able to pick one up for decent money. Really do put a smile on your face [emoji1]

Paddy

RMS Regular
Yeah the bumper was hideous. I've my eye on a few and may look to pick one up on down the line but we'll see.

Vegas for the ufc. Wow! Jealous. I'd love to go.
Yeah prices have definitely went up now we are coming into summer. But hopefully you'll be able to pick one up for decent money. Really do put a smile on your face [emoji1]

Id happily swap you the trip for the car if you want? lol ... .Worth a shot :p

Sadly I also want an s13,s14a and for some reason a pick up so what ever the budget allows after the fights will determine the car.

Tim Long

RMS Regular
OP
Tim Long
Drives
Moonrock S2000
Id happily swap you the trip for the car if you want? lol ... .Worth a shot :p

Sadly I also want an s13,s14a and for some reason a pick up so what ever the budget allows after the fights will determine the car.
Haha, as much as I'd love to go on the trip :p

Would be tempted by a silvia myself. Would love an s15 spec r, but I chose the All in the end.
Can't see me letting this one go unless I'm offered a good deal for a car I've always wanted or I can afford an r34 gtr [emoji1]

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
bear in mind though most people who polybush things are doing it to replace old worn bushes. Replacing with oem bushes would likely see a lot of the benefit with none of the downsides.

Bingo (y)

A fresh OEM rubber job is not far off a "road" Poly bush. Main difference for going the Poly road would be to install and forget, at least for me, whereas the OEM rubber jobs will go soft and squidgy again.

For racing, rose joint them :innocent:

Tim Long

RMS Regular
OP
Tim Long
Drives
Moonrock S2000
nice nice seats those god they are gorgeous. i feel myself more interested in the legs spread in the background. my imagination has ran wild so youd be better showing us what that is.

:grinning:

Hahaha thanks mate. The legs are those of Kelly Brook. Last years calendar lol. Totally forgot to take it down and no one bought me a new one :worried: lol